We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

I will be there 18-26 of August and my brother who was there in June was overwhelmed by mosquitoes.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

I have hardly seen a mosquito recently where I live . . . I wouldn't be too concerned - they aren't anything like they were in June. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

I was in Alaska in early to mid June (4-13) and couldn't believe how bad they were all over - Palmer campground, Healy, Denali, Turnagain Arm. Worst I had seen in years. Normally they are gone by early August anyway and from what coalminer said, they aren't a problem anymore. I wouldn't worry.

Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

Thanks for the feedback will plan appropriately.

Sue

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

That's great to hear. We'll be there August 24-Sept. 2

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

Just spent three days at Tek, took the shuttle to Wonder Lake. There were no Mosquitos of significance at Tek, and at Wonder Lake a little bug spray did the trick. The only place on our trip with significant Mosquitos was Byer Lake!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
840 posts
862 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

We were at Denali July 22 - 24. We took insect repellent but only ended up using it while at the dogsled demonstration in the park. For our 16-day trip, the only other time we had to apply repellent was on the Byron Glacier Trail. According to everything that I've read in this forum and in the travel books, mosquitos are not generally a problem in August, but other insects could be present. Take repellent with you just to be prepared, and enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Have the mosquitoes declined in number in Denali by mid Aug?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19