We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several specific questions please...

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Several specific questions please...

Date of post: August 19, 2013:

1. Current conditions: has this summer been wetter, dryer, or about average?

2. Current conditions: has this summer been warmer than usual, cooler than usual, or about average?

3. Current conditions: are the blueberries out right now near Wonder Lake? Other berries?

4. Are the fall colors starting to change?

5. Anything else unusual/different about this season?

6. What are the best campsites at Wonder Lake? Are the ones to the north-west of the bear locker somewhat more private? Better view of mountain?

Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several specific questions please...

I will let a local answer the first three, but yes, the fall colors are starting to change. I have seen photos both from the park and from the Denali Hostel with yellow leaves for example.

I always cringe when I hear the word "best" for anything. In fact, if "somewhat more private" is "best" to you, then the ones on the side of the path that don't have an unobstructed view of the Mountain are probably "best." But for me being able to see the Mountain is more important than being "private." So you easily see what I mean. Actually, no need to really fret about the sites - they are first-come, first-served, so you will just have to take your choice from the sites that are left, especially if what you might feel is "best" is already taken.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several specific questions please...

1. Current conditions: has this summer been wetter, dryer, or about average?

- dryer, by far

2. Current conditions: has this summer been warmer than usual, cooler than usual, or about average?

- not just warmer... Damn HOT (at least in ANC)

3. Current conditions: are the blueberries out right now near Wonder Lake? Other berries?

- don't know

4. Are the fall colors starting to change?

- yup, with leaves coming off some trees in my east anchorage neighbourhood and Talkeetn area cabin

5. Anything else unusual/different about this season?

- red eye flight line ups for TSA at ANC have been long and slow (according to a couple TSA people and travelers) the past week or two.

- no moose (odd)in my neighbourhood, but we've had a brown bear (odd)

6. What are the best campsites at Wonder Lake? Are the ones to the north-west of the bear locker somewhat more private? Better view of mountain?

- fti?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,833 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several specific questions please...

We have been having a dry, hot summer - been wonderful!! But there is a change in the air, temps are cooling - summer is on its way out - colors are changing . . .

Little smoke on some days.

This article was just in the Sunday paper yesterday - thought you might enjoy that: newsminer.com/news/local_news/despite-hot-dr…

Berries have been being picked for a few weeks now - have heard it has been great.

Lots more road construction & delays I think.

While I have camped at Wonder Lake, it wasn't at the campground and it was years ago, so I am sorry, but can't help you there.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several specific questions please...

The earlier to WL the better choice of campsites.

The more private sites when I were there were across the road with no mt views.

Alpenglow with mt view was awesome at sunset for me in a high middle site.

WL campground is not real private- in fact, the communal kitchen/tables & shared walk-in bear lockers were fun for me meeting others. Plus, there was a free shelf with lots of fuel canisters & the ranger asked me to take them out to prevent fire hazard- so was gifted a couple of years worth of fuel from the communal free shelf.

john is the WL campground expert, tho. I don't usually camp there due to the mosquitoes.

Have fun!

Edited: 19 August 2013, 18:48
Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Several specific questions please...

So, I asked my question(s) a few hours ago, and had FOUR Destination Experts reply with really great answers. How will I ever be able to COMPLAIN with such quick replies?!

THANK YOU. I am soooo ready for a big, solo hike next week!

Got really excited to read it's supposed to rain all this week (but then I realized that that doesn't mean it won't rain all next week, too).

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,094 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Several specific questions please...

My wife can still complain, so I'm sure you are allowed to too!!!

:)

7. Re: Several specific questions please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...