We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

My wife (age 56) and I (age 64) are planning a trip to Alaska for two weeks next year from approxiamtely August 21 to September 6.

We're tentatively planning to arrive in Anchorage and spend 2 nights there. Next we're planning to rent a car and drive to Denali for about 7 days. This is the main purpose of the trip. We hope to take the shuttle bus in the park, see wildlife (and photograph) and do some fairly easy hiking of 3-5 miles round trip. We are fit and do some hiking in New York's Adirondacks. I know that is a far cry from Alaska but that's the type of hiking we are interested in. I think we've decided to stay at the Denali Park Hotel in Healy. Cost is somewhat of a consideration. We'll also spend a some time driving and exploring around the area.

Next, we plan to drive to Kenai Peninsula for most of the remainder of our trip. We expect to take a day cruise with Phillips Cruises unless someone can point out some good reasons not too. We mainly hope to see whales, eagles, icebergs/glaciers, etc. Also, we are planning to drive around the peninsula viewing the scenery and wildlife. From here on we'll head back to Anchorage for the long trip home.

This is sort of a bucket list trip. We don't expect to be able to afford to do it again but we know we can't afford to spend more time and money now. So, I'm looking comments and advice on any part of the trip that people can comment on. We're not sure if we're doing Denali first or Kenai first. We are interested in temperatures so as to pack proper clothing. Thanks in advance for comments and information.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

Your two choice for Musk Ox in South Central Aaska is the Musk Ox farm in Palmer or the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage:

http://www.alaskawildlife.org/

http://www.muskoxfarm.org/

Otherwise you'll need to fly out to Nome or Kotzebue: www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm…

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
22 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

We've booked 3 days on the shuttle bus in Denali using the "buy 2 days get the 3rd day free" deal. We're stopping at Eielson, Toklat and Wonder Lake and may visit other stops as well. We're going to do some shorter hikes. We are concerned about carrying ample food and water. We're planning on carrying sandwiches and snack stuff. Will be have a problem attracting bears carrying sandwiches? We're going to carry several bottles of water each but that is a weight concern. Is there any potable water at any of the stops to replenish? Would we be better off carrying a water filtration device?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

There is water at Eielson VC, so you can refill your water bottles there. I have never had a problem with carrying food in my back pack, though I would live the smoked salmon at home. :)

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
923 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

We're about your age, and just returned from a very similar itinerary to yours with very similar interests to yours (in terms of seeing and photographing wildlife. One thing about the shuttle buses that my husband was concerned about. At least our driver (I think all drivers) stopped for wildlife, then everyone put down their windows and took pictures (but whispered so that the wildlife wasn't aware of human prescence). Although you could get on and off the bus at will, everyone on our bus went to the end point and returned on the same bus (I think that was the rain that started). When coming back, several hikers on the roadside flagged us down (at random locations-you don't have to get to a bus stop), but the driver stopped and told them the bus was full (I've heard that if you get off, you may have a long wait before finding a bus with room to get back on). And our bus stopped about every 1 1/2-2 hours for potty breaks. And we took the Kenai Fjords 6 hour tour, in Seward, and saw tons of whales, good glacier views, Eagles, sea lions, and Puffins. Although I loved that tour and liked the Sea Life center, Seward was EXPENSIVE!

25. Re: Looking for comments and information on an Alaskan trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...