We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonder Lake to Kantishna

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bend, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Wonder Lake to Kantishna

Is it worth the time to travel past Wonder Lake to Kantishna? I am trying to decide between a shuttle bus that turns around at Wonder Lake and one that turns around at Kantishna?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

I have only done that stretch of the road once (during the road lottery weekend when we could drive our own vehicle as far as we wanted to). Personally, I don't think it is worth the time/effort/money and would not do it again.

Bend, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

Thanks.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

I would just do the Wonder Lake shuttle. The only reason I go to Kantishna is because when I camp at Wonder Lake, the bus I like to take back into the heart of the park goes through Kantishna. I could avoid Kantishna by taking a 6.30am bus from Wonder Lake, but that is fairly early, especially considering trying to have breakfast, pack a day pack for the day, etc.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

Going further is really for getting to the airport or a lodge. Nothing especially woth seeing to make it worth the extra travel and to take time away from rest of the part.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

In addition to what else was said, the road from WL to Kantishna tends to be wash-board, so Wonder Lake is far enough to travel.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

The views from the north end of Wonder Lake can be amazing as well as the hiking into the mountains above Kantishna. We were able to bum a ride on the shuttle as we walked along the road north of the lake.

Other than observing some evidence of history at Kantishna or perhaps additional wildlife, there is not much to see from the bus once you pass beyond Wonder Lake.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

I've never hiked up there CTDesign, but I imagine the views of the mountain are awesome from there. The brush & skeeters have kept me out of those units. Did you have good luck with the skeeters?

If the mt is out, some folks walk the 1/2 mile or so from the Y to Reflection Pond to try to get the photo shot.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

I was there in mid August, a few years back. Hiked in shorts and mosquitos didn't bother me. Saw the mountain three days in a row!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

I'll bet you were staying at Camp Denali to hike up into the Kantishna foothills with them. Camp Denali folks lead hikes up there a lot since it is in their backyard. Lucky you to have the mountain the whole 3 days!!!

10. Re: Wonder Lake to Kantishna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2014, 05:17