We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kodiak, Alaska

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kodiak, Alaska

Is Kodiak, Alaska worth a day flight from Anchorage and how many hours should I allow

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

What would you like to do and/or see there? That is usually how I determine where to go.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

We have been in Kodiak only two times, and that was on our ferry trips to Dutch Harbor. A few hours is not enough. Wife requests a trip there this season, and we will take the ferry with our car and stay a few days. Your best bet would be to rent a car if arrive by air. But, to answer your specific question I would say no!

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

I would say it depends on your interest, budget and the rest of your travel plans in Alaska.

And I wouldn't do it if you do not plan on renting a car.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

Tks, we only have a day so if we fly and take a hire car do we need a whole day or only part. We would like to look at the fishing boats and maybe watch them unloading, we do not want to go fishing, we do want to have a look around the town and maybe if easy to do drive somewhere to see bears.

Do we need to pre book a hire car?

Hawley, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

Kodiak Island is a beautiful spot. One day is not enough to enjoy the island in any manner. If you are going to spend all that money to get there why take only one day. Your time would be better spent flying out for one day to see the bears, and or on your travels find a good fishing port in any other area of Alaska and watch them unload their boats. I have been to Kodiak Island, and it really would be a waste of time and money to spend only one day there.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

Where else are you going in Alaska? You can see the fishing boats in Seward.

You would definitely want to pre-book your rental car.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

I think they have made up their mind to go to Kodiak, regardless. This is a big waste of time and money for just a turjn around visit

Hawley, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

Oh the uninformed. They will make mistakes.

9. Re: Kodiak, Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...