We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day Solo Hike

Plymouth, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Topic
5 day Solo Hike

I am looking for some possible 5 day hike suggestions for this August 16 through 22nd.

Have done numerous camping and hiking trips including Glacier, Quetico and BWCA.

I am in good physical shape, feel comfortable using map & compass and would like solitude with as many wildlife encounters as possible.

I will be carrying a 27lb pack.

I am considering the Upper Teklanika River to the Sanctuary River loop? Need some additional suggestions since I will not be arriving until 2:00pm so zone 5 & 6 may no longer be available?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

Have you read through our 2-part Top Question :Backpacking Units" & our Top Question "Backpacking Equipment"?

I did not like backpacking Unit 5 Sanctuary River, but then hit it in spring & it was wet willows with grizzlies after moose calves LOL. I don't have fond memories of that unit, but I prefer the high tundra units.

But I loved backpacking in Unit 6 Cathedral Mt.

Unit 9 is an excellent intro to backpacking in Denali. There is a water source about 4 miles in where we have set up camp & then from there you can do day hikes back to the glaciers.

Stony Dome Unit 11 is beautiful & go for a solo as they only allow 2 people. I loved it on solo trips.

Anyway, read through the Top Questions info with lots of unit experiences & then holler with questions.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 02:12
Plymouth, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

Thanks for your quick response. How do I get to the Top Questions link?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

It should be on the top right side of this page. If you are on mobile you will not see it and here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/l4fqk6w

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k296…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k622…

Edited: 03 April 2014, 13:52
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143022-i1271-k341…

Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

It takes 5 days to hike to McGonagall Pass. This is 2 FULL days hiking to the pass, 1 day to rest on the glacier, and 2 easier days to return. 4 nights. I did it solo twice.

Story at: http://denalimcgonagallpass.blogspot.com/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

Hi Jim! You're brave to do that hike solo!

My solo backpacks are all easy & not too far from the park road. The longer multi-day traverses I've only done with groups of friends.

Edited: 04 April 2014, 13:25
Madison, AL
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

Brave.

Crazy.

Stupid.

In Denali, there are only small gaps between the three.

I really should put a disclaimer on my blog... solo hiking for 5 days in Denali is NOT for everyone. I'm assuming someone considering a 5 day solo hike knows what they're getting in to (although I didn't when I started - - you know that). McGonagall Pass solo might very well be one of the most dangerous hikes in the US. [Someday, I'll write about my experience on a walking safari in Kruger National Park in South Africa... talk about Crazy].

It's that time of year where my feet are getting itchy and I yearn to be outside on my own 5 day solo hike. I don't think I will go back to Denali this year. I'm looking seriously at several other options. The slot canyons in Utah really intrigue me at the moment.

9. Re: 5 day Solo Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...