We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Shuttle Buses

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Shuttle Buses

I was sure this question must be an all-time favorite question, but I haven't found it! So, here goes:

We are spending 3 nights, 2 full days, at Denali in early July. "We" are 2 adults (50) who like easy hikes, love animal viewings, don't mind a long bus trip if there's better opportunity for scenery or wildlife viewing, and would enjoy seeing the huskies. We are planning to book 2 days of shuttles, and wondered if it is worth it to book to Wonder Lake or just go as far as Eilesen? I realize this is in large part subjective! The reviews are roughly 50-50, with some folks saying it's not worth it and they wished they'd only gone as far as Eilesen, and others saying don't miss it! To me, it would be a win if I see lots of animals or stunning scenery. Thanks for your input!

Edited: 08 April 2014, 02:33
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
956 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

I personally would not go to Wonder Lake on a day bus trip. You will spend all your day sitting on a bus.

Somewhat ridiculously, you do not need to leave the bus depot these days to see moose. The moose love the front end of the park, because all the people keep the predators away. This makes the Wilderness Access Center the BEST place in the park to see moose. More time on the bus does not necessarily get you more wildlife.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

Everyone's experiences and mileage may vary Dave. Thanks for your insight.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

The WAC is a great place to see moose, I think I have seen them there on almost every visit but I would not cancel trip to Wonder Lake because I might see moose at The WAC. The bus trip goes by quickly especially if you get off an hike a bit. Take a break at Eielson if you need to, the only time I might not go is if the weather is poor. If you have a full day at Denali National Park & Preserve why not spend a full day in Denali National Park & Preserve?

Not sure why it is ridiculous that you can see moose at the entrance, I could wake up and see moose out my bedroom window or in downtown Anchorage but it is different seeing them in the heart of Denali.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 11:46
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

we just got back, did the shuttle to WL the first day, and only as far as Eielson the 2nd. Not too much "bus" for any of us, day 2 we did some hiking, so it ended up being full days both days.

T B
Greenview, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

MNman,

How were the mosquito's at Wonder Lake....I have been reading how awful they were last year, worst in 30 years some said. I'm going to assume there are always mosquitoes, but the intensity varies year-to-year....what was your experience?

How was your trip? We are going to be there in about a month and couldn't be more excited!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

I am not MNman, but I can venture to guess that in a month mosquitoes will be in full force at Wonder Lake. Reports this year so far is that they are bad but not as bad as in some previous years at this time.

T B
Greenview, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

Thanks for the update...been reading your blog as you walk the park trail. Personally, I'm not too worried about the mosquitoes (the damned gnats here in central Illinois will drive you crazy and don't seem fazed by deet), but my wife doesn't tolerate the little buggers very well as she gets pretty big welts from the bites. Coming prepared with long sleeves and mosquito netting and repellent.

Seattle
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

I'll just say.. if you haven't been to WL, go if you think this is your only visit to Denali. If the weather is great, your view of the Mountain will be spectacular. If it's rainy, check out the various birds in each of the kettle ponds, watch for moose, and marvel at how fast you can run when hunted by tiny flying insects.

That said, the beauty and length of the trip is in the eye of the beholder. I've ridden more times to WL than I want to think of, but give me a sunny, partly to no clouds day, and I'll go there in a heartbeat.

Either way, leave some time for a short hike around Eielson, should be decent flowers up on the ridge, sunsets last forever this time of year, and you never know what wildlife you might see running the river bar.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

They were already in pretty full force last week! No one on our bus was staying at WL , so it was a fairly quick stop (in the drizzle/mist)

They were none at Eielson however , which is why we spent more time around there .

We'll have to get back to WL on a nicer day for sure!

The trip was great, I posted a lengthy review yesterday.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Denali Shuttle Buses

They were already in pretty full force last week! No one on our bus was staying at WL , so it was a fairly quick stop (in the drizzle/mist)

They were none at Eielson however , which is why we spent more time around there .

We'll have to get back to WL on a nicer day for sure!

The trip was great, I posted a lengthy review yesterday.

Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...