We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options for single traveler around May 10

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Options for single traveler around May 10

Hi Guys,

Seems like I am in a bit of trouble. I am on a business trip to US and decided to take a vacation in alaska starting May 9. I am travelling alone and for some reasons cannot rent a car. I am planning to reach Denali by train on May 10th (Winter aurora). My questions is what are my transit options to go inside the park between 10th-12th May from Healy ? Are there any public transport options at that time? It would be really difficult for me to alter the dates. Also are any bike rental shops open during this period and how feasible is it to bike from healy to inside park and back.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 11 April 2014, 19:45
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

Almost nothing will be open until May 15 . . . and without a car, you would be pretty stranded. None of the usual hotel shuttles will be running, because the hotels aren't open. Even bike rental shops aren't open. You will have to skip Denali or come at a later date - sorry.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

I did see you mentioned Healy, but the only way to get btw Healy in the park is via a car . . . the bike rentals don't open until middle of May. You could check with them though . . .http://www.denalioutdoorcenter.com/

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

Hey .. thanks for quick reply . I was fearing this. Anyway Looking around, I found this princesslodges.com/denali-lodge-specials.htm . I can stay here and get till the visitor centre. But I guess I am still out of luck. Would it make any difference If I move my schedule to 14th-15th ?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

Yes - that would help a bunch to move it to the 15, because that is when most businesses open! :)

If you want, see if Princess is providing their shuttle service - that would be key for you.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

The first tour buses into the park 30 miles, Teklanika Wilderness Tours, start May 12th.

denaliparkvillage.com/denali-tours/tundra-wi…

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

Thanks Denalicat - I think to only think shuttle bus!

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

Thanks guys .. really appreciate the help. Princess Lodge(14th - 16th) + Teklanika Wilderness seems to be the best option right now. Plus I get princess reservation for 80$, which is nice. Also If you please don't mind I have few other questions ..

1) Is the hike trail near the entrance of park good in terms of views etc ?

2) Can you guys please review my tentative itinerary. I only get one shot at this so want to get it right :)

May 9th Night : Arrive to Anchorage

May 10th : roam around Anchorage

May 11th : Whittier (26 glacier tour) .. come back to ANC same night

May 12th : Take train to Seward ..

May 12- 13 : Kenai national park .. boat tour + some hikes

May 14th : Take train from ANC to Denali

May 16th Evening: Get from Denali to Fairbanks

May 17th morning: Flight from Fairbanks to Juneau

May 17th : Fly from Juneau to Skagway (Whitepass Train) and fly back to JNU same day

May 18th : some hikes + glaciers ..

May 18th eve : Fly out from Juneau .. 45 hr journey to home

Am I missing anything which is a must see during that period ? My only constraints are that I have to start from ANC and end at JNU ..

Once again my deepest gratitude for your feedback ..

Thanks,

Ankit

8. Re: Options for single traveler around May 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...