We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

Taylor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
92 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

We're arriving in the Denali area 4pm-ish via a Princess cruisetour on July 24. I'd like to hike the Savage River area that evening. I prefer the Savage Alpine Trail, one-way of course, over the Savage Loop Trail. I'm concerned about a late enough shuttle back to the WAC/Princess Lodge (I have the Shuttle schedule) if we were doing the Alpine Trail. We're in our early 50s, in decent shape. Does it really take 3 hrs? Would we have enough time to do the 3hr hike & catch the free shuttle back to WAC? Which direction should we go on the Alpine Trail? Start at Savage River? or at Mt Vista? The next morning, we have the Tundra Wilderness Tour booked. That day is shot, as far as hiking. Thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

You may want to cancel The Tundra Wilderness Tour and schedule yourself on a shuttle. You will have freedom to get off the shuttle and hike and also get deeper into the park. Both buses travel the same road.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,798 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

I agree with spacefry - book a shuttle and really enjoy the park at your own pace - and for cheaper! :)

Taylor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
92 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

I was afraid of that response, but I am willing to cancel our TWT. Schedule the VTS to Eielson Visitor Center, instead? I'm not willing to go all the way to wonder Lake. Mile 52 Tolkat, was good enough for us. We then can get off as we please and hike both Savage Alpine and Savage Loop without a rush & worrying about getting the last shuttle out. Thanks! Any other thoughts?

Which direction on the Savage Alpine Trail is best or easiest?

Edited: 09 May 2014, 20:24
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

Book to Wonder Lake, if the mountain is out you might regret not "going for it", if you don't feel you want to go that far the difference in price is not that much. There are a lot of nice hikes in the Eielson area. With regards to hiking near Savage all I can say is what I would do, I would plan out where half way is and make sure I made it there in 1/2 the time I needed to catch the bus. If I don't make the 1/2 way mark I turn around and go back the way I came.

I have hiked Savage River towards Stampede, I haven't done the Alpine Trail. When I look at the Savage Loop Shuttle it does not look like you have time to hike on your arrival day. You could hike in the entrance area that evening.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 20:45
Taylor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
92 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

Thanks spacefry. I cancelled the TWT. We will hike closer to the entrance on the evening that we arrive. Now I just need to decide how early we want to head out on the Shuttle bus in the morning, and which hike to do... either one near the Eielson VC or the Savage Alpine Trail.

Cantwell, Alaska
Level Contributor
63 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

You could probably do Savage Alpine in 2 hours. Three allows you time to lounge along the ridge and enjoy the view. It is a very cool trail.

Taylor, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
92 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

Thanks AK. Now to decide if I do the Alpine near Eielson on our way into park, or hit the Savage Alpine on the way out? Maybe it depends on if the Big One is visible

8. Re: Late Afternoon hike at Savage River July 24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...