We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Alaska August 2014

Green Bay
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Alaska August 2014

Family of 4 (boys 13 & 15), take a one way cruise (Whittier to Vancouver 8/16-23). Add a few days (0811-08/15) on for interior AS before Whittier. Have read most of the posts here. Here are my questions.

1) Denali - this forum overwhelmingly votes for Shuttle Bus (my preference as well). My only concern is the up to 1hr wait for the next shuttle bus. We are in Denali 8/12, might be the tail end of the peak season. The boys would get very frustrated if every time we get off, we have to wait an hr for the next bus (heck, I will be up on the wall as well). What is your experts' experience of the odds of waiting up to 1hr every stop? We definitely want to visit Wonder Lake, the tour bus does not go there. On the tour bus, can we even get off to take pictures/enjoy the view as a group, then back up on?

2) Kenai Fjords NP - I looked into the 2D/1N package with Kenai Fjord Glacier Lodge, but the $2350 ($725A/$625Youth) price tag is a bit steep. My alternative is the Northwestern Fjord Tour ($184/pp). I probably won't miss anything with the tour, other than not being able to stay INSIDE the park. What is your take? We figure we will see plenty of glaciers on our cruise anyway, the 1day tour is good enough.

3) Will have one way rental car from ANC to Whittier. Not sure of rental car offices at Whittier. Another option is to drop off car at Seward (a bigger town), take some kind of public transportation to Whittier - what is available? Which is a better option?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Alaska August 2014

Avis is the only rental car company in Whittier, Hertz is the only rental car company in Seward.

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
492 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Alaska August 2014

As for the shuttle bus, there is no need to get off multiple times. You can take it to the visitor center (Eielson), get off, walk around, and take it back. You could also take it to a spot, hike, and get back on the return trip. So you could easily only have one wait. I would also think a bit about Wonder Lake. If the mountain is out, you get a spectacular view, but other than that, if you are not camping there, there is no reason to go that far. It's past the main mountain range. I think a perfect trip would be taking the bus to Eielson, take a hike around the vistor center, and then take a bus back.

Green Bay
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Alaska August 2014

Thought of 2 more questions.

1) Is an SUV desirable or a sedan will do fine?

2) Hiking boots a must? Our kids don't own hiking boots, they are growing so fast, not a good investment. But if the boots are a must, I will have to bite the bullet and get them a pair.

Thanks.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Alaska August 2014

No need for an SUV. And I do most of my mild hiking in good sneakers.

5. Re: Visiting Alaska August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...