We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
lodging

Looking at a last minute trip in July. Would be at Denali 7/8-11 but unable to find any lodging. Suggestions?? TIA

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging

Where did you look for lodging? Who is traveling? What is your budget in a specific dollar amount?

The best place to look for lodging is on the denalichamber.com website. Most lodging in the Denali area is not available through the major online booking sites.

Before you reply, please also read the FIRST TIME POSTERS pinned thread in the general Alaska forum. The more info you can post, the better we will be able to assist you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging

Hi FTI...thanks for the direction. Yes, have read through the sticky and sorry I left details out. This is a last minute trip the dw and I (early 50's) are attempting to put together. I've located a roundtrip rental car out of ANC. We were initially looking at a Princess cruisetour but the difference in pricing vs on our own is huge. We thought we might try to do the land portion on our own, 7/8-11, and board the ship on 7/12. I did go thru the chamber site in search of lodging to no avail. At this point, our budget for lodging is open. Camping would not be an option. I believe we can get lodging in ANC with no issues, it's the nights for Denali that are coming up short. This is the plan...

July 7 - fly into ANC fr east coast, overnight

July 8 - p/up rental car and head to Denali

July 9 - Denali

July 10 - Denali

July 11 - return to ANC and overnight

July 12 - Alaska r/r to Whittier, board ship

July 12-19 - s/bound sailing to Vancouver

we would shuttle into the park prolly on day 1 for Denali, not sure what to do on our 2nd Denali day. We wanted to go thru Fairbanks w/cruisetour but with the above would not have sufficient time. Not sure if we're missing out or not on Fairbanks (this option included a river cruise). Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Edited: 27 May 2014, 14:10
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging

Did you look at the chamber page that fti mentioned? What is your nightly budget and type of lodging - hotel, cabin, B&B? There are several great places, but more info would be a great help. Glad you are making time for Denali! :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
54 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging

yes, took a look via denalichamber page and searched properties from that site. Our budget is somewhat open though I don't want to be paying hundreds of $'s to overnight somewhere. We're getting a super deal on air and cruise so that lessens the cost of the rental car and lodging. We would be partial to hotel or cabin (with private bath). B&B wouldn't be a deal breaker but no camping. There is another post above with further info. I know we need to scramble as our date of departure is 6 weeks out. Your input is appreciated.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging

Your timing is going to be the reason there could be an issue. I don't think anyone here (regular posters) will have a place they know of that isn't one that would not come up on a normal Google search or that is not listed on the "chamber's" site.

I've quickly looked at the Denali Hostel, McKinley Creekside, and Perch (all located about 10 or 15 miles south of Denali); and they are all booked fairly solid for July.

If you are doing a search and are using Denali, drop that and try Healy (the community just north of Denali).

Good luck,

Scott

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,641 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging

Things are busy this season - many people do have a good chunk of their summer bookings.

I would start by calling - not emailing as you really need to get something booked.

Motel Nordhaven

Denali Lakeview Inn

Aspen Haus B&B

Denali Dome Home

Earthsong Lodge

and then go from there!

More of a budget hotel - Denali Park hotel.

7. Re: lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...