We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Topic
Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

I will be camping at Wonder Lake the last week in June. Does anyone have any idea if I can expect any patches of snow to be on the ground that time of year? I'm bringing a small cooler and would like to use snow to keep some food chilled. Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

Not generally - June is usually pretty warm . . . so very unlikely - I would not plan on having it for your cooler.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

As coalminer said, extremely unlikely. The temps have gotten down to the mid or high 30's at night though and the food lockers are generally pretty cool to begin with.

You really don't want snow at Wonder Lake - that means temps at night get below freezing. I have been there in September with low temps about 20F or lower.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

Apparently there was up to 4" of snow today at Wonder Lake. I am sure it won't last that long, and I doubt it stuck very long at all on the road (if it did, I am sure the buses would not have operated but travelers on the shuttle buses reported it so obviously the buses were operating). But I would not count on any snow on the ground. If there is some for your use, consider yourself lucky (if you like camping in freezing weather, I guess!).

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

Even if it did snow can't see a problem. About two weeks ago (May 31st) in snowed here during the night. By mid-day it was gone. And, Homer only had rain.

BTW John (fti) those temperatures will remind you of home :-)

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

Thanks for the responses. I'm used to backpacking in Washington state, where the mountain snowpack sticks around until mid-July (or later), even when daytime temperatures are in the 80s. I guess that doesn't happen in Denali!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

I know what you mean - I spent a few summers in Glacier and in June, you were still hiking in snow, even though it was hot out. It's the elevation more than anything . . . the park is actually pretty low in elevation, whereas the parks in the NW, you are at a much higher elevation. That is part of the reason why Denali looks so overwhelming in size - sheer elevation!! :)

7. Re: Snow at Wonder Lake Campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Denali National Park...