We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,373 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Today the results for the road lottery drawing were announced:

nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/road-lottery.htm

Who was able to snag a permit and for which day?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Not me, so decided to head to Katmai instead for that weekend.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

I briefly read the link to the Road Lottery. Just a question though- is the road limited to the public?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Yes Peter, the road is limited to JUST the 400 lottery winners (per day) over that four day (Friday through Monday) holiday. Other than during that weekend, the public is not permitted to drive the Denali Rd inside the park beyond MM 14 (or TEK C/G if you are staying there).

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,906 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Peter - during the summer, you can only drive the first 15 miles on the Denali Park road, where it ends as Savage river. To go further in the park, you have to be on a shuttle or tour bus - or you can ride your bike or walk. At the end of the season, the buses stop running and the have the road lottery, where the lucky winners can drive the park road. After the road lottery, the park road is then open to the public, but that is all based on weather conditions. Generally, it is snowing by then and the road is closed to everyone. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Wow, those 400 winners must be over the moon. What an amazing opportunity. Thank you von & timeshare for the explanation. I assume the limits are on to preserve the integrity of the park. Great move by your government. Cheers, PW

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Even with "just" 400 vehicles on the roughly 80 miles of road, it gets very congested especially at animal sightings. "Bear Jams" can be hazardous to humans and the animals.

Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Yay!! We did!! Been planning our trip for months and happened to stumble across info on this. So I thought I may as well try it. I never win anything! I was so excited to get my email. We will be getting into tecklanika after the last bus tour of the season and I was so bummed to find this out. After we entered I read the vehicle size rules. The rv we have reserved was too large, again totally bummed until my wise husband suggested we get a smaller rv!! Great alaskan holidays was so kind to chang our reservations at no charge!! So excited again! This is the vacation of a lifetime for me. Have always dreamed of going to Alaska. We are all looking forward to taking in the beauty and adventure of the park. Open to suggestions and tips. Have enjoyed reading others blogs and comments here of their experiences. Congrats to all others who won!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

Shelly I don't want to be a kill joy on your excitement as you will love your drive on the Denali Road. You may, however, want to look into the possibility of a rental car for the drive itself. (You can have two vehicles in your TEK campsite.) To drive that narrow road with sheer cliffs and no guardrails in an RV would not be very relaxing.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

We won too and were not already planning a trip, but now we are. Should we expect to have issues with a rental car being allowed on that road, and if so, does anyone have suggestions for a company that would allow it?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who was lucky enough to win a permit for the Road Lottery?

GullBayGirl . . . technically most car rental companies will not permit you to drive the Denali Park Rd because it is 100% gravel/unpaved beyond MM14. That said, I know several people who have done it anyway w/o incident.

For my 2011 Denali Road Lottery weekend, I rented a Suburban truck from Rent-a-Wreck in Fairbanks. I used it as my "camping" vehicle and to drive the road. It cost me about $100/day + tax for the six day rental.