We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denali Sept 25-27 2014

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Denali Sept 25-27 2014

I will be in Anchorage on the 24th and am going to rent a car and drive up to Denali on the 25th (it might be at night). I can find a place to stay but there are no shuttles (fine, I can go 30 miles into the park weather permitting) but as I am travelling alone and get lost in paper bags, I would like to do a hike (with a guide- but the park service doesn't have them this late in the month) and was thinking about a flightseeing trip. At the end of the day(s), I would like to see Denali (the mountain), do some hiking, see some animals, and get a sense of the beauty of Denali park at a minimum. If there are some activities other than those (excepting off road vehicles) I would be interested....any suggestions?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

"fine, I can go 30 miles into the park weather permitting"

- it's unlikely you will get this far as snow will likely be a factor

"get lost in paper bags, I would like to do a hike"

- if you get lost, don't hike

"flightseeing trip"

- do a search & contact a couple of services. Rusts Flying service in Anchorage would be the most likely to offer a service (IMO)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

Ummmm...thanks? I would like to hike- I just want to do it with a guide and not on my own. I was hoping for suggestions for that.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,371 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

Unfortunately though the park doesn't officially "close" there are pretty much no services available. Even during the summer there are very limited guided hiking services except those provided by the rangers.

One year I went in your timeframe. I bought a cheap bicycle in Anchorage and brought it with me. I parked my car at Tek rest stop (mile 30) and then bicycled to about mile 37 (Sable Pass). Just on the other side of Sable Pass you can see Mt. McKinley if it is visible.

You might (or might not) have to deal with snow. You just never know. But it is a definite possibility.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

In order to provide commercial services in a park, a company, such as a guide service for hiking or climbing, must be permitted to do so under a Commercial Use Authorization. The park website has listings of companies that have such authorizations. Here's the link to the Denali page with all of that info: nps.gov/dena/…CP_JUMP_229415.

If you scroll down you'll see there are a number of companies listed under day hiking. I had a quick look and found that many seem to time their services to end around mid September (or the 11th or so) so this info may be of little help.

Flightseeing is probably available in late September but you'd have to check that too. I'm not sure but I think the only flight companies that need to have an actual authorization are ones that intend to land in the park so I believe you wouldn't be restricted to flying with the air taxi and flightseeing companies listed on that page I provided unless you want to actually land within the park.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,914 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

I don't believe it is wise to hike alone (anywhere). Yes, I have done this, but my age caught up with me and I realized how stupid I was to have done so. One could fall and injure oneself and be out in the wilderness on your own.

If it is the mountain you want to see you would be better off in the Talkeetna area.

6. Re: Denali Sept 25-27 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:17