We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backcountry Denali NP for novice Off-Trailers

Which Denali National Park and Preserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windham, Maine
1 post
Save Topic
Backcountry Denali NP for novice Off-Trailers

My new Husband and I have planned a trip in Denali National Park For August 4th(Mon) thru the 8th(Fri). We have Teklanika for Monday night, and Wonder Lake Campground for Thursday Night along with a camper bus pass that is good for our entire stay (I've been told). So we have Two nights for Backcountry Exploration.

I am looking for some advice on backcountry routs for the two nights/ three days. We are relatively fit and experienced hikers, but new to backcountry backpacking. I have only done it once, in California with more experienced backcountryists along. I am trying to be smart about this, but not so timid that I miss out on things that could be easily doable.

How do we pick a rout?

I am hoping that with more research and reading Ike Waits' guide I will get a better idea of what we want to do. I suppose I am looking for some advice and encouragement, or some warnings and assistance. Thank you

Ocala, Florida, USA
Level Contributor
58 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backcountry Denali NP for novice Off-Trailers

I am replying in hopes that someone will see this post and respond :) We too are going to be traveling to DNP the same time and are interested in some backcountry hiking spots. My only thought that the reason no one has responded yet is that there are links on the side which somewhat already have this question!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backcountry Denali NP for novice Off-Trailers

I never responded because somehow I just missed the post!

I would definitely look at the Top Question about Denali. Secondly, go to the backcountry info on the Denali NP website. www.nps.gov/dena then click on Plan Your Visit, Things To Do and find Backcountry or do a search on the site.

A lot will depend on what units are available once you arrive. The first poster arrives tomorrow, will need to go through the backcountry orientation (about 1 hour) on Monday before going to Tek. The ranger will also help with backcountry unit planning. It is hard to plan too thoroughly since some areas of some units often close temporarily.

For Audjoc, are you backcountry camping or just taking day trips? How long will you have and who is "we"?

3. Re: Backcountry Denali NP for novice Off-Trailers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:15