We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Denali too much?

Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Denali too much?

Is 10 days in Denali too much?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

Guess it all depends on what you plan on doing while you are here. If you were planning to hike or camp in the backcountry, you would really need several days. There are also some lodges in the Kantishna area that require 3-5 day days . . .just to explore in that area. Most people don't have that much time to devote to an area, but then they can only skim over the basics - bus ride in to the park, perhaps a bit of hiking, see the dog demo and then leave. If you really liked to hike/camp etc. then yes, plan on more time here. Any thoughts on all that you want to do here?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

As always Coalminer is right. I agree, it depends what you are planning on doing and what time of the year. If you are going to climb Mount McKinley you need more than 10 days. For staying in one of the lodgers inside the park, it depends how much money you want to spent. Give us some clues as to what are your plans then our generous Coalminer and maybe a few of us us can give you a number of suggestions. I recommend reading posts on this forum under Denali to get an idea what other visitors focus on. Check out www.nps.gov/dena to learn what activities are available and there is a lot to do but it all depends on each individual, his or her interests, time available and financial resources. .

Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

Hi folks - thanks for the responses. My husband and I love to hike and enjoy the outdoors. While climbing McKinley is probably not on our list, we do like to get out there and "get off the bus" per se. Last summer we went to Yellowstone/Grand Teton area and just had a blast doing some backcountry hiking -- but only day hikes. I don't think I am ready to camp in the Alaskan backcountry quite yet -- although I think my husband would jump at the chance.

The reason I asked this question in the first place is that I started reading all the posts in this fourm, and most of these folks are suggesting just 2 or 3 days in Denali, and it just seems crazy to me

to not spend more time there. From the itineraries I've seen posted so far, it just seems like everyone is in such a hurry to get around to all these places. With all there is to do, I can't understand these 2-3 day itineraries. I started thinking maybe we are crazy for wanting to spend over a week there.

Anyhow, any input on specific hikes or not to miss activities would be great. For example, the McKinley Flight/Tours -- has anyone been on one? Or do you know if there are any overnight pack trips on horseback into the backcountry? That would be awesome!

Thanks for the tips -- and for validating that we are not insane for wanting to spend awhile in this awesome american wilderness.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

oh, you are definitely not insane - if that is what qualifies, then I am as well. I love to go to one spot on vacation, and just absorb all that is there . . .so I can relate to what you want to do. I would read as much as you can on the Denali website - you won't find the trail system like in many of the other national parks, but there are many great areas to explore. www.nps.gov/dena.

I haven't been flightseeing around Mt. McKinley but it's very popular - go depending on the weather - Talkeetna, Denali Park and Healy all offer this.

Only know of one horseback riding outfit in our local area - there might be some in the Talkeetna area. Here is the one that I know about: www.denalisaddlesafaris.com

Hope this helps a bit more. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

Since you are planning to spend so much time in Denali and are interested in day hikes, I highly recommend you get a copy of Ike Waits' book, "Denali National Park Guide to Hiking, Photography, and Camping."

6. Re: 10 days in Denali too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 11:17