We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay or Mainland side - what's better?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Bay or Mainland side - what's better?

I would like to visit the Everglades from the keys. I asked the hotel my options and they said I can take a boat ride from the keys to the Bayside of the everglades. Does anyone know what this is like?

We want to see the real everglades and hopefully some alligators. Am I better off driving to the mainland and doing it on my own?

Any tour operators recommended?

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay or Mainland side - what's better?

I had hoped someone else would answer, as I can only be a little bit helpful. I guess a little bit of help is better than none at all!

Most people will visit the Everglades either on their way to or from the Keys rather than waiting until you are at the Keys. As we live in Sanibel, on the west coast outside Ft. Meyers, I'm not really familar with the option of taking a boat ride from the Keys to the Bayside, but it seems likely. There is a boat tour offered through the Park Service contractor of the 10,000 Islands on the west coast of the Everglades.

Tell me a little of the details: flying into Miami? renting a car? When will you be visiting?

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay or Mainland side - what's better?

Most folks heading to the Keys will visit the Florida City entrance to the Everglades. The highlight of this area is the Anhinga Trail. You'll absolutely see alligators on the 1/2 mile boardwalk. In the height of a drought, we lost count one time north of 100. We've never seen less than 20.

Taking the boat from the Keys will be a different experience and you may want to do both. Anything that gets you on the water in the Keys is a good idea. But "Everglades National Park" is a big area of water, not just land Most of Florida Bay in the Key Largo area is the Park. If the boat takes you all the way to Flamingo, that would be cool. But if it focuses on the islands of the upper Keys, I'm not sure you'll see many (any?) alligators.

This go list has directions to the Florida City entrance and ideas for what to do there. Don't forget the milkshake!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12780-Everglad…

3. Re: Bay or Mainland side - what's better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:25
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...