We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
443 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

Were traveling to the everglades in may this year, first of all can you tell me if that will be peek time for bugs/mozzies etc?

Also we'll be traveling up from the miami or keys area towards marco island and plan to stop off to do a guided trip/tour. We were in the everglades in 2006 and did the shark valley tram tour which we really enjoyed the question is do we do that tour again or should we do a different one? ive been looking at the rangers tour from the gulf visitors centre or the other tour from flamingo, has anyone done these tours or which one would you recommend for seeing great wildlife. Do you see gators on both of these tours?

Also have you any ideas on how long it would take to drive from the keys area (islamorada) to flamingo or everglade city?

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

I can help with a few of these questions, and hopefully others will show up soon to give you more feedback.

Peak time for mosquitoes, flies and no-see-ums is July/Aug/Sep (rainy, hot season), but certainly the later in May you are the more likely. Bring good bug spray, wear long sleeves & long pants. Now, if you take one of the boat tours and you're moving and out on the water, it will be less of a problem.

You generally will see great wildlife in all locations, but remember the birds that winter in the Everglades generally will be gone when you're there.

As to seeing alligators, they prefer fresh water -- that's why you see so many at Shark Valley. If you go on boat tours, if they are in salt water areas, chances aren't good to see gaters. Now, when we were in Flamingo last summer, it seemed that there were either tours or you could just rent kayaks/boats and go up into the lakes. I haven't been, but the farther up into fresh water, the more likely.

Actually the easiest place to see a LOT of alligators is in front of the Big Cypress National Preserve Visitor's Center and you will be driving right by there.

As for driving to the two locations, it's been a while, but I'd guess that Islamorada to Flamingo would be about 2 1/2 hours (depending on traffic) and from Islamorada to Everglades City would only be about 15-20 minutes longer, probably 2:45 minutes.

If you're going to be that close, you may want to take a side trip up to Sanibel to see more seashells than you can imagine on a beach!

Let us know if you have more questions.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

I've been to the Everglades a good number of times usually in November or April. I've been bitten by the mozzies every time despite wearing long sleeved shirts, long trousers and covering myself with spray.

That said I do love the place and will be going back again in a few weeks. (I'll just make sure my anti histamines are in my bag, I'll probably need them.)

I've been on a few of the ranger led tours - some walking and a couple by boat. They've always been informative and fun. Just go with whatever they're offering at the time that suits you.

Have fun.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
443 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

Thankyou both so much for your replys.

Im glad to hear that early May wont be peak season for the mozzies as i do tend to attract them, do you recommend that we buy bug spray when were arrive in Florida as to bringing it out from the uk with us, im just thinking that bug spray here wont be strong enough for them darn everglade bugs.

I agree with you about the visitors centre, we stopped off by there on our last visit and were amazed by how many gators were lolling about in the shallow stream that runs in front of it, there must have been 50-60 and some were massive. Also the amount of large dragonfly flying around.

As we are only driving through the everglades for the day i wanted to make the right choice on what trip to do when we get there. Unfortunatley weve never done kayaking before and dont really fancy doing our 1st one in the glades.

We are staying (hopefully) on Marco Island for 1-2 days so we might drive back into the everglades the next day, We are also going to stop off at sanibel on the way to Anna Maria Island were we will be for the last week of our holiday.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

If you are planning to visit E C you will finds lots of options for tours whether by boat or airboat if you fancy that. Check out the chamber website for lots of helpful info www.evergladeschamber.net

Incidentally from this site if you choose chamber members and the boat tours option and then choose Everglades National Park tours there is a link to a great map of the Everglades National park. Click view map.

While you are en route to E C look out for Joanies Blue crab cafe at Ochopee. Also en route from E C to Marco you pass Big Cypress Bend boardwalk which is well worth a visit and just prior to that there is a hotel called Port of the Islands where you can get more eco friendly boat trips from. www.doublersmanateetours.com

If you aim to stay on Marco - E C is only about 30 minutes drive away so you could easily go back.

Have never stayed on Marco but From what I saw with all the high rises did not impress. Make an effort to get to Sanibel, as mentioned by another poster it is shell city and completely natural. A must visit for me when in Florida.

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

If you are coming from the Keys, you don't need to go all the way to Flamingo to see the alligators or have a ranger tour. There is a walking tour given at Anhinga Trail that is very interesting (actually, I like it without the ranger so you can go at your own pace) Directions to this part of the 'Glades are here (coming from the Keys, turn left at the light)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12780-Everglad…

united kingdom
Level Contributor
443 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

Thankyou all very much for your reply's some great ideas here, I will look into more of these boat trips and tours from your links etc. Thanks again.

7. Re: A couple of questions id be gratefull for your advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...