We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Topic
Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

Big Cypress National Preserve:

I found a bulletin from the NPS saying the road was closed to non-local traffic - but this was from October of 2008.

Anybody know anything more current?

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

I drove it January 2009; no problem.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

Half-Brit, you may have seen this brochure ... it is a good secondary material for your research and planning.

nps.gov/bicy/…20LowRes.pdf

I've not run into any info about closure.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

The Loop Road, I drove is the 27 mile "unimproved" road, not the Turner River Road "loop" that the brochure MarcoRed gave the link to refers to.

Here's the Loop Road I'm referring to: staynplay.net/florida-tourism-articles/loop-…

Also mentioned here: nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/scenic-drives.htm

Loop Road is a commitment; you must go slow, and it is sometimes difficult to get past cars coming from the other direction. It will take a good 2.5 hours to drive, going slow and you will want to stop and enjoy certain areas; there are no restrooms along the way. It was well worth the time and all the dust/dirt on my car!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

Thanks very much, UNCMickey, that's the road I was referring to.

Okay, so it's on "the list" as a possible (LOL), and I do appreciate the time estimate.

Do you think it would be worth driving just the paved portion, and then turning back? I'm a tad concerned with a rental - would hate to bump mirrors or something . . . we'll have a new Toyota Rav4, which are larger than the older ones.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

No, most of the paved section is just weird, you're still in some sort of civilization; It was strange, I even thought about turning back, so glad I didn't! ; you must get/go through the unpaved section to get to all the neat, watery cypress wildlife filled areas. Sorry. If you drive slow, you should be fine even in a rental. (Just don't drive fast and run over an alligator! that would be a mess! lol)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

LOL, at least they ought to be easy to see ;-)

Thanks, that helps with our planning.

7. Re: Big Cypress Loop Drive - anyone driven lately?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:17