We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a tram ride in Florida City

sonoma county
Level Contributor
151 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a tram ride in Florida City

I'm on info overload. Can't seem to find specific answers to my specific questions even after spending 3 hours today on this wonderful forum. Feb visit coming up quickly.

We're staying at sanibel island for two days then on to Key West for two days. Thought we'd "stop by" the everglades on our way down, but now thinking of splitting it up.

Tuesday, drive from sanibel via 41 and go to Everglades city for kayak guided tour. (i only find ONE kayak guide). Maybe small airboat operator instead. stop at Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk. go back for sunset at naples then back to sanibel. (sorry sanibel)

Wednesday on our drive down to Key west, go to FLorida city for a tram ride. I don't think i want to go to Shark Valley for the tram ride, but that's the only place i hear about a tram. Seeing an alligator is not that important--i'm sure i'll see a few, but would like to experience the swamp and birds and other wildlife (mammals are nice).

too ambitious? We don't mind driving quite a bit , but would like to get out and see things as well.

Or should i do ALL the everglades in one day on my way down to KW?

thanks for all your help to date.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,926 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

If you'll be in Everglades City, it makes excellent sense to drive to the Park's main entrance and continue on the road down to Flamingo, which has excellent wildlife viewing opportunities.

The road passes through Long Pine Key, a pineland slightly elevated above the marshes. Quite a lovely drive, and with plenty of places to stop and look around.

The Robert fruit stand near the park entrance is itself a landmark, greatly beloved of Floridians.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

BlueRusso is referring to Florida City entrance. And there is no tram there. Instead, there is the Anhinga Trail with a 1/2 mile boardwalk. You will usually see animals galore here. The NPS website will tell you when a ranger will be leading a walk there (Look for Royal Palm Visitor Center)

I can't speak to your first day plan - it sounds very interesting but I live on the other side of the state! Well, one thing, did you look at the NPS boat trips?

I would take US 41 to drive to KW. Stop at Clyde Butcher's gallery

www.clydebutcher.com

Then head to the fruit stand Robert is Here.

http://www.robertishere.com/

From there, the visitor center at the National Park. Next Ahnhinga Trail and as much more as you are able to fit in. The ranger at the visitor center will be able to give you lots of good info.

Have a great trip.

sonoma county
Level Contributor
151 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

Thanks, keymom, i read your entire travel guide and that was the most helpful!! Wow--i should do the same for folks coming to western sonoma county. It makes for such a better trip with this kind of info! Anyway, wanted to let you know after much reading and getting out a map and mapquest, that's what i've decided. I've been on a airboat and have seen alligators so we'll go to Shark Valley tram, stop at Clyde BUtcher's gallery before, fruitshakes at RIH, and MAYBE kayaks at Flamingo, but probably not. Think we'll feed the tarpons at Robbie's instead and then fall exhausted in our motel in key west. It gets confusing when people tell you , you can get to florida city from everglades city. All i can see is Hwy 41 on the map..there's not a highway along the "coast" from everglades city to flamingo, is there?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

No, because it's all protected swampland.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

If you want to go along the coast, there's the Wilderness Waterway - - but you have to travel by canoe, not car!

http://evergladesdiary.com/

Otherwise, it's US 41, the Tamiami Trail. (so named because it goes from TAMpa to MIami!)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

In Eveglades City, there is a decent museum there you might be interested in:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34210-d1636…

7. Re: Is there a tram ride in Florida City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...