We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

Will I see something different on the tram than I saw in Big Cypress? I walked the Kirby Storter Trail to see the birds and saw the alligators at the Oasis Visitors Center. I also stopped at the HP Williams Boardwalk and saw more birds and wildlife. I have company coming and wonder if is worth the time to go to Shark Valley. I would appreciate a good description of the tram ride. Does it get "deep into the Everglades" or just into wide open spaces. We will be traveling from Naples so going to the Coe Visitors Center is not possible. Our group is adults from 30's to 60's. Thank you

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

I think your group would really enjoy the tram tour at Shark Valley. Although we have never taken the tram, we have biked the same trail the tram travels MANY times. You will see all kinds of birds and TONS of alligators (I have never had much luck at Kirby Storter and only see alligators and a couple of birds at Oasis). Your guide will give you great information and you will also stop at the lookout point halfway to get out and look out over the Everglades. You will not go deep into the Glades, but will be in mostly open spaces . . . that does not mean you won't see A LOT of wildlife! I say take the tour!!

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

Take the tour because the guides will be able to spot things (wildlife) that you might miss if going round on your own. They have a very thorough knowledge of the area and all the different types of birds that frequent it.

The area is mostly flat with some raised 'islands' as marcomamma says but it is a great place to visit.

Map of the ENP here showing location of Shark valley. www.everglades.national-park.com/ever1.htm

I note you will be coming from Naples US41 so feeling peckish/ watch out for Joannie's cafe en route. http://joaniesbluecrabcafe.com/

Edited: 31 January 2012, 03:33
Hartford...
Level Contributor
258 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

To answer your question it does not go "deep" but stays in open areas. Gators, turtles, and birds are what you will see.

Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
207 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

Thank you to all of you for your replies. Thank you Dewsburyman for the tip about Joannie's. I have always enjoyed the talks given by the rangers in other parks I have visited. Some of the people in my party have short attention spans so I wanted to insure their interest.

5. Re: What will I see on the Shark Valley tram?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...