We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

We are heading from Miami to Shark Valley on Sunday and considering doing the tram. Are there photo opportunities along the way? Does the tram go slow enough for people to photograph wildlife?

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
960 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

yes to all the above.

Elk Grove, IL
Level Contributor
70 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

What are the good photo opportunities between Miami and Shark Valley?

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

You can stop anywhere along the way (as you see alligators and birds) to take pictures. However, your best opportunity will come in Shark Valley itself. The drive from Miami to SV is not that interesting (sorry to disappoint)! Now, if you have the time and can drive in the other direction (turn left when leaving SV), that stretch of road often has a lot to photograph. You will most likely see birds in large numbers, including egrets, ibis, and possibly roseate spoonbills and wood storks. You would be headed toward Marco Island, and if you drive far enough toward Marco, you could always take a trip into Everglades City. It is a very interesting little town and will provide many photo opportunities.

Finally, the Clyde Butcher shop is on your left hand side on the way from SV to Marco, so you might want to stop in there. Butcher is a famous Everglades photographer and his work is fabulous! It is also very expensive - we never buy anything, but it is worth a stop.

Have fun!!

Edited: 03 March 2012, 14:14
Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

I just did the tram tour and I am a photographer. I will be writing up a more in-depth review later. However, to answer your question, the tram tour was good for information. I personally did not find it good for photography since we were "on a schedule" to get back. If you do go on the tram tour, I would recommend the first one at 9:00am. There were only about 10 of us and I got a whole row of seats to myself which made it easy to move from left or right to take photos.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

ride a bicycle instead of the tram and stop wherever you wish

6. Re: Shark Valley Tram - Photo Opportunities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 10:23