We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August day trip... bugs?

Winnipeg, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
August day trip... bugs?

Hi there,

I will be spending a few days in Miami after a cruise, and I was thinking about making a trip to the everglades. I have been to Biscayne National park before, and have been on an airboat ride, but they were both in the dry season. I was wondering what the mosquito situation will be like in August. I have read that they may be bad, but how bad is bad? I'm from Winnipeg, Canada and I am used to mosquitos (not in winter of course!), but I do know that they can get pretty bad and ruin being outside. I was also wondering about some of the boat tours that they have in the park.

I hope that someone will be offer some words of advice!

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August day trip... bugs?

Seem to recall August being pretty 'buggy' but was in EC on the other side of the park. Would imagine they'll be everywhere but if you go boating they won't get too bad offshore.

They love me and go in for the kill even when lotioned up. Some folks they just don't bother at all. Just cover up and don't let them spoil your trip.

Sorry can't help with boat trips on that side. Hope someone else chips in.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August day trip... bugs?

Most days in the summer, we don't have any problems with mosquitoes; but occasionally, they are relentless. Basically, if you stay away from vegetation and tour during the daytime hours, you should be okay. Don't venture into the mangroves and avoid the dusk hours . . . these are the places and times that mosquitoes are at their worst.

There are airboat and kayaking tours all over the area you are looking to visit. Check out Everglades City for an abundance of tours. I would recommend looking on trip advisor for the highest rated tours. We usually take the Miccossouki Indian airboat tour because it is the cheapest. Since we are in the Everglades many weeks during the year and have hiked it, etc., we don't feel like we have to have the best tour, just a cheap way to see it in a different way.

If you have time, visit Shark Valley. It is a 16-mile loop you can walk a ways into, bike ride, or take a tram ride through. You will see tons of alligators and exotic bird species. It is a GREAT way to see the Glades - look it up online for more information!

3. Re: August day trip... bugs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...