We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Everglades to Keys...

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Everglades to Keys...

Next week we are leaving Naples to head to the Keys. We have never visited Shark Valley or the Anhinga Trail. Is it feasible to do both in one day on the way to Key Largo? Thanks for your help.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

We have been to Shark Valley MANY times, but have never been to the Anhinga Trail. I have researched it enough to know that you can do all of that in one day. It will be a full day, but probably very rewarding. We love Shark Valley . . . You ought to rent bikes and bike the 16-mile loop.

England
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

Agree with previous poster but would also suggest (if feeling very adventurous) you try loop rd on the way to SV.

Interesting article here staynplay.net/florida-tourism-articles/loop-…

If you make it out alive can you post your experience as am hoping to do trip early next month.

Maybe contact the visitor centre to see if road is passable nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

Sure, just get an early start. If you're going to bike Shark Valley stick to the trail side along the canal, there isnt much to be seen on the other side. Anhinga Trail is much more compact and walkable than Shark Valley.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

We drove Loop Road once on the way to Shark Valley . . . Probably wouldn't do it again. It was a scenic drive, but it took WAY longer than traveling Tamiami the whole way, was ridiculously muddy and our car was CAKED at the end, and we only saw one alligator along the way (no other wildlife). I was really worried that my car would break down, because it is VERY desolate out there and if I'm remembering correctly, I didn't even have cell service. I like a good adventure, but personally, I just didn't feel like this one was worth the extra time!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

Thanks to each of you! You have been very helpful.

6. Re: Naples to Everglades to Keys...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 05:15