We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

Does anyone have suggestions about where to stay near the eastern entrance (Hwy 41) to the Everglades? There appears to be no accommodations in the park itself, except in Everglades City, but that's way to the west, and I need a motel to stay for one night (under $100) as close as possible to the eastern end, so that I can get an early start the next day to maximize my time in the Everglades before arriving in Fort Myers that night (I have a place booked there already). I will be spending a couple of days driving south along A1A from Cocoa Beach, but don't really have the time or desire to drive through Fort Lauderdale or Miami. I keep reading about Homestead and Florida City, but they appear on the map to be about 50 km out of my way (too far south from the direction I'll be travelling from). I see there is a little town called Sweetwater, which I guess is a suburb of Miami--would that be my best bet? Thanks in advance.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

Your budget seams a bit low to me. You might try and Priceline a place near Doral.

England
Level Contributor
1,729 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

Presumably you are driving A1A for the scenic view but what are you hoping or planning to do in ENP?

Homestead which you say is way off route is one of the main park entrances with the Anhinga trail and other attractions while Everglades city is the other one.

In between on US41 there are various tourist attractions including many airboat operators and alligator farms (if that's your interest) whilst Shark valley around midway is the main draw for many.

Everglades city is a good spot to take conventional boat trips as well as airboats and also a good place to stop for meals though look out for Joanie's http://joaniesbluecrabcafe.com/ along this route for ice cold beers as well as food and sometimes entertainment.

For accomodation in sweetwater suggest you contact C of C sweetwaterchamberofcommerce.org/CONTACT_US__…

central NY
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

I've been struggling with this same issue. Just this morning I used Hotwire and scored an Extended Stay on the western side of the airport for under $75 with all taxes and fees. They have a special right now giving $25 off if you use the mobile app for Hotwire. It looks like approx. 30 - 45 minutes to the ENP on Hwy 41. I hope this wont be considered "inappropriate content" by mentioning this company! Just trying to give the poster some advice.

4. Re: Accommodations near east entrance to Everglades?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...