We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Glasgow
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

We will be visiting the Everglades in June this year and wondered what the best resistant for mosquitoes are?

Thanks.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Time of day & proximity to vegetation: those are the ONLY two repellents we have found to be successful! The mosquitoes in the Everglades are BRUTAL, but we find that if we stay away from heavy vegetation (hammocks) and don't stay outside during pre-dawn/dusk hours, we are fine. I'm convinced nothing man made works for those awful pests!!:)

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

ENP is the only place I know that has its own mosquito forecast:

weather.com/outlook/…FLNPEVER

100% deet, long sleeves, pants etc.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

We have been into the Everglades in May a few times and must have been very lucky as we were not bitten. We put on Jungle Formula insect repellent and Soltan sunscreen with insect repellent!!! Having said that, we were only on the edge (I think) as we visited the Anhinga Trail.

Mentioned in this post
Anhinga Trail
Anhinga Trail
1,205 Reviews
Everglades National Park, FL
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

We've been run off by the mosquito's from Flamingo and the Snake Bight Trail(it took us three separate trys to make it to the end)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
170 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks for the info, I'll take a note of this.

6. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:19