We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

Hello Trip Advisors

We are looking to spend a day around the everglades on our way down from Sanibel to Key Largo.

My question is, as first timers to the Everglades I was thinking of visiting Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (would you recommend this?) if so, are all these "visitor attractions" located in the same vicinity?

Also, I have heard lots of people mentioning driving through " Alligator Alley" where is this in the Everglades and will I automatically drive through this road to the Keys?

Sorry, your right, I am confused. :)

Many thanks in advance

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

I would not recommend taking Alligator Alley, as it's pretty boring compared to the road that runs parallel to AA, Tamiami Trail. If you take Tamiami Trail across, you will pass Shark Valley on your way. I LOVE Shark Valley and always recommend it to those that want a nice way to see the wildlife and beauty of the Everglades. If you do go to SV, you can either rent a bicycle to bike the 16 mile loop, take a tram tour around the loop, or just walk a ways in and explore in your own. The Anhinga Trail is about an hour or so Southeast from Shark Valley and is a walking trail. We have only been there once, but didn't see nearly as much as we do at Shark Valley. Therefore, if I had to choose between the two, if easily choose Shark Valley. If you DO go to the Anhinga Trail, you need to stop at Tobert is Here in Homestead for a milkshake. They are DELICIOUS and a great way to cool off on a hot day!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

That should be "Robert Is Here" for the fruit shakes.

Google Shark Valley and Anhinga Trail for details.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

Yeah, I hate responding from my phone . . . Always make a few mistakes!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

Do keep in in mid these are wild animals, so they may or may not be there when you are. Anhinga is a good 40min ride from the highway, Shark Valley and the Oasis Visitors center are both easy on/off of of US 41. If you'd like to visit either your best bet will be to take 41 and skip I75

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,897 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

And when you're on hwy 41 look in the canals that run alongside the roadway ... you might see some alligators.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

Tardy reply from me and good responses already. I suggest you look on Google maps with satellite view.

Take I75 from the Sanibel area to Naples. Leave at exit 101 before I75 becomes Alligator Alley toll road. Take 951 Collier Boulevard south to US 41 Tamiami Trail towards Miami.

Stop at the Tourist Info. At the junction with 29. They have restrooms. Pick up local maps. It's next to Sherrif's office with radio mast. Hard to miss.

After Shark Valley, which is further along US 41, take 997 Krome to Homestead. From Homestead you can pass Robert is Here and a prison to visit Aningha Trail if you wish. You drive into the park (pay fee) and the trail is one of several places to stop off at. You should only have pay park entry fee once (if paid at Shark Valley don't pay again) as valid for a week or so.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

In UK terms I75, and the Alligator Alley section of it, are a motorway. Fast road road. Not as direct so it adds miles if heading to the Keys.

US41 is a main A road in UK terms. Not always easy to overtake. More scenic, more places to stop, more to see including Shark Valley entrance.

8. Re: Shark Valley & Anhinga Trail (need help with distances etc)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Everglades National...