We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me connect the dots

Plano
9 posts
Save Topic
Please help me connect the dots

The wife and I are planning a vacation from June 8-12th. After a bit of research, we've decided on Montana. But after perusing way too many message boards, my head is spinning...

Once I click "Complete Booking" we'll be flying into Kalispell and renting an SUV at the airport. We are planning on staying in Whitefish at the Lodge at Whitefish Lake. From what I can tell, that suits our get dirty during the day, sleep on a very, very soft pillow at night style. But the whole idea of staying in Whitefish was to spend a couple of days at GNP. Should we do this?

I would imagine that we would hike one full day, half drive and half hike another, then spend another day perusing Whitefish and the surrounding areas. Would there be more appropriate places to stay?

I have looked at some of the various lodgings within GNP - which of these (independent of views, ambiance, etc.) is the nicest? Or based on my previous description of needing a "luxury" place to stay should I just forget the idea of staying within the park?

I guess it comes down to the fact that we don't have a ton of time up there, we've never been to Montana before, and we want to have a great time. We don't want to go home on the 12th wishing we had done something different.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stumped in Texas (aka Mr Bean)

Plano
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me connect the dots

I was finally able to get GPInc's website to work - and it appears as though the only available hotels for our dates are the Glacier Park Lodge, Village Inn, and Lake McDonald Motor Inn.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me connect the dots

If you're looking for luxury, I'd go with your first choice. None of the options you have within the park for your travel dates are what I would describe as "luxury".

It's only about a 30 minute drive from Whitefish to West Glacier, I don't think it will be a very difficult commute.

Plano
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me connect the dots

Camping Girl -

I've heard good things about the Canadian side of the park - and since you're the Waterton expert - would you recommend trying to spend a day on the northern side of the border? Or would it take too much time / be a pain to cross the border, etc???

Thanks for your response.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me connect the dots

Yes, I think the Canadian side of the park is great. It's a lot smaller than the US side, so you could easily see & do a lot in one day. The Shoreline Cruise down Upper Waterton Lake is really nice & takes about 2 hours. Also, Waterton is a great place to see wildlife.

It should not be too much of a hassle to cross the border, especially if you have passports. The drive from St Mary to Waterton would take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how long it takes to cross the border.

If you want a really nice place to stay in Waterton, check out the Waterton Glacier Suites hotel - very nice!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me connect the dots

Camping Girl is right, if you have a yen for luxury, the Lodge at Whitefish Lake is a great place. The drive to Waterton and back to Whitefish in one day is doable, but a long day of scenic driving. With the short amount of time you have, relaxing in one hotel and enjoying some of the sights in the Flathead Valley along with GNP is a great combination. Plus, you will be able to experience some of the great restaurants in Whitefish.

Visiting Bigfork and Flathead Lake would be another nice half-day or full-day trip.

Bring rain gear, as June is the rainiest month of the year. We just got in from a 2 night stay at Glacier (in our motorhome, we gave up on the "rustic" or aged accomodations inside the park).

Enjoy Montana!

6. Re: Please help me connect the dots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 09:18