We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

We will be in GNP in a couple of weeks:-) My husband and I are traveling with our 2 teenage children. We have reserved a horseback riding trip all day through Grinnel Glacier and an all day rafting trip with Great Northern. Any other suggestions PLEASE!! We are not avid hikers but did some 3- 7 mile hikes throughout Yellowstone last summer and had a blast. Any shorter, easy hikes that you know of. We are staying at the Summit Station Lodge in East Glacier. Any must sees from West to East to Waterton, Please let us know:-) We would love to hear from people that have been there or live there. We will be there from June 23-July 5th. I hope this is enough time to see alot of things??

Look forward to hearing from you soon:-) Suzanne:-) 15 days til we leave and counting:-)

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

When in Waterton, do the Bear Hump!!! and at Logans Pass, do the Hike to Hidden Lake..... We were there The same time last year!! We had wonderful weather with snow up on Logans pass...

Have fun...

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

Hi:- Will do both:-) Thanks so much:-) Suzanne:-)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

Suzanne: Glacier is THE place to do hiking, even if not very long. It is my favorite place in the U.S. and I'm sure you will absolutely love it as well.

OK, so some 3-7 mile hikes...there are plenty of AWESOME ones to choose from, and if you're going to be there for 2 weeks, you will feel like you're in Heaven! : )

From West Glacier to Logan Pass along the Going to the Sun Road, there are three trails that are really worth your time:

1. First is the Trail of the Cedars. This is a 1/2 mile loop on a boardwalk/pavement that includes a beautiful hemlock and cedar rain forest and a wonderful gorge at the end with Glacier-fed water that has an incredible shade of blue. If you want to combine this short trail with a hike to Avalanche Lake (HIGHLY recommended) it would be about 4 miles roundtrip. I did the Trail of the Cedars/Avalanche Lake hike on July 4, 2006 and really loved it. Avalanche Lake is a turquoise lake which displays about 6 250-foot waterfalls at the head of the lake. It is a beautiful lake, and the trail traverses dense, beautiful forest the entire way. If you want an easy 4 mile trail, this is a good choice.

2. Second is the Highline Trail. This trail begins at Logan Pass and parellels the geological feature known as the Garden Wall (an arete if you are into geology) for several miles. A good turning-around point for you would be Haystack Butte. I think this might be about 7 miles roundtrip, but it is rather flat. The views to the west are awesome.

3. Third would be the Hidden Lake Overlook Trail, as mentioned. It is 3 miles roundtrip and part of it is on a boardwalk. The wildflowers should be beautiful that time of year. It leads to a wonderful overlook of Bearhat Mountain and Hidden Lake, which fills a glacier-carved cirque.

***The only problem with the Highline Trail and the Hidden Overlook Trail is that you may very well not be able to do these hikes. Even though Glacier has received significantly less snowfall than usual, there was extensive flood damage to the Going-to-the-Sun Road from November 2006. It is unlikely that it will be open in June, but since your trip goes into July, you might have a chance. Just keep checking for updates on the road***

Between Logan Pass and St. Mary on the East side, there are three great, short trails to do:

1. First is St. Mary and Virginia Falls. St. Mary Falls is one of the most photographed waterfalls in the park and is an easy 1 1/2 mile hike. Virginia Falls is just past St. Mary Falls on the same trail and is 3 miles roundtrip.

2. Second is Baring Falls. This is a rather steep, but short trail (maybe 0.6 miles total) down to a small waterfall near the shore of St. Mary Lake.

3. Third is Sun Point. This is a nature trail that may be 1/2 mile at the most. It leads to a nice overlook of St. Mary Lake and the surrounding peaks.

In the Two Medicine region, there are five trails to consider:

1. First is Running Eagle Falls. This is a short, wheelchair accessible path to a very unique waterfall. It is a definite must-do hike, as it will take very little time (maybe 15 minutes)

2. Second is Scenic Point. This is around 6 miles total, but it is strenuous. If you think you are up for such a steep hike, you will be rewarded with some amazing views into Two Medicine as well as the Great Plains.

3. Third is Appistoki Falls. I believe this is a 2-3 mile hike and moderate, but I really am not sure. For some reason, this is not a very typically hiked trail, so maybe the waterfall isn't that impressive.

4. Twin Falls and Upper Two Medicine Lake could be taken as a ~4 mile hike if you use the boat shuttle across Two Medicine Lake. Wonderful waterfall and lake!

5. No Name Lake is also about 4 miles if you use the boat. This is a small lake that is situated at the base of a huge rock wall (maybe 2,000-3,000 feet above the lake). You could easily combine this with Upper Two Medicine Lake/Twin Falls for a wonderful ~7 mile day hike.

Many Glacier is my favorite part of the park. There are probably 4 hikes you should consider doing here:

1. First is the 2 mile hike to Apikuni Falls. This is a rather steep, but short trail with a beautiful 100-foot waterfall and some great views of the surrounding area.

2. Second is the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail. You can make it a ~3 mile hike by going to Red Rock Lake, a ~4 mile hike by going to Red Rock Falls, or a ~7 mile hike by going to Bullhead Lake. I went to Bullhead Lake and back, and it was one of my favorite hikes I did during my 5 days in Glacier. They are all beautiful destinations, but Bullhead is by far the most impressive.

3. Third is Grinnell Lake. By using the boat shuttle, you can make this a ~2 mile hike. I would HIGHLY recommend taking the Grinnell Glacier Trail as far as you can before it is closed due to snow. This trail provided the most beautiful views of any trail I did in Glacier even though I, too, was not able to reach the glacier itself.

4. Forth would be a hike that is a little over your stated limits. It is a 9 mile hike to Iceberg Lake. Although this may not sound like the trail for you, many people consider this lake the most scenic lake in Glacier NP. It is surrounded on 3 sides by 3,000 foot cliffs, and icebergs float in the lake well into August. It is just a wonderful trail and stunning destination.

Whew! That's a lot to take in. If you have any questions, let me know.

Sean

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

If you would enjoy a break from hiking, check out The Great Bear Adventure. It's located near Coram, on Hwy 2, west of West Glacier. For about $5 per person, you can drive through a 15 acre parcel of "bear habitat" and view the 3 grizzley bears and 4 black bears from the safety of your car (windows rolled up!). You can drive and stop and watch for as long as you like. The bears here are very well cared for, and it does give you the opportunity to view them safely at close range. Hopefully you will not encounter this close-up experience out in the wild!

Also, near the town of Whitefish (worth visiting itself) you will find "Walk in the Treetops" up on Big Mountain. It's for thrill-seekers who don't mind heights, as you can safely walk on swinging boardwalks suspended from the treetops.

Big Mountain, the Whitefish ski resort, also keeps their gondola running in the summer, and a ride to the top offers awesome views plus a place to grab a casual meal.

Come equipped with rain gear. June is the rainiest month of the year, and about 50% of the time July 4th is celebrated in the rain. Come prepared and don't let yourselves get bummed out over a little rain. Then again, with the climate changes, things are different.

5. Re: We will be GNP from June 23- to July 5:-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:18