We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to the Sun Road

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Going to the Sun Road

I keep reading posts about GTTS Road being closed. According to NPS web site, it is all still open (as of 9/2). We are going to arrive in GNP on 9/12. We have a Red Bus tour scheduled on GTTS Road. Does anyone anticipate any problems?

Thanks!

Poconos
Level Contributor
297 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to the Sun Road

It's really hard to predict what the weather will be like at that time of year in that area. I was there a little over a year ago (mid-August)and the weather was hot & sunny for our first two days - by the 3rd day, it was cold, raining & the fog was so thick, you couldn't see well enough to drive on that road. They didn't close the road, but anyone with sense stayed off of it. I'm afraid of heights, so I was thrilled!

My sister lived in Park City, UT for a while and she was my traveling companion - she planned the trip for August because she's aware of how quickly - and early - the weather changes. Friends of mine from here (Pennsylvania) took the same cross-country trip as we did, arriving there about 3 weeks later, and they hit several inches of snow in the mountains. I'm not sure if Glacier was affected (they were a bit south of the area). One thing to keep in mind, though - if GTTS Road closes, you have to travel out of the park & around it to get from one side to the other, as GTTS is the only road that goes across it. The drive around takes a couple of hours.

I envy you - Glacier was the highlight of our 6-week road trip and I can't wait to go back. Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Houston, TX
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to the Sun Road

If you read further on the NPS site, you will see they will close part of the road on Sept 16. If you have the tour planned prior to Sept. 16 you should be fine.

From the park web site:

Starting at 10:00pm September 16, the Going-to-the-Sun Road, between Avalanche Creek and Siyeh Bend, will be closed for the season to allow scheduled road rehabilitation work and to allow for repairs to the sections of roadbed damaged in a storm last November. There will be no access to Logan Pass after September 16. For additional information please read the press release from August 23rd.

We just returned from a trip to GNP & did drive the GTTS with few problems but there is a lot of ongoing construction. We also took Highway 2 all the way around from West Glacier to East Glacier. Also drove to Polebridge on the west side of the park, via Camas to Outside North Fork Rd. Well worth the rough road ride. Returned via the Inside South Fork Rd. Saw lots of wildlife & stopped to fish in many of the accessible streams.

Mentioned in this post
Going-to-the-Sun Road
Going-to-the-Sun Road
2,540 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,013 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to the Sun Road

Thanks for the replies. Tour is schedulded for 9/13 - so looks like we just missed the cut-off.

Again, thanks.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to the Sun Road

Just returned from an awesome trip to Glacier - and the GTTS road was open. The redbus tour is great.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to the Sun Road

Glad you've had a great time Wincherr. Already planning your next trip? We are off to Phoenix next saturday and will stay a loooong time in the Usa. Can't wait.

tet

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to the Sun Road

Tet - good to hear from you.

The next big trip is my 3-week drive across the USA in April. I have it nailed down - and will repost in a few weeks.

Have a great time in PHX - what is your schedule?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to the Sun Road

Phx-Williams-Page-Torrey-Bluff-Grants-Ruidoso-San Angelo-San Antonio-Port Aransas-Fort Stockton-Silver City-Tucson-Organ Pipes-Yuma-Palm Springs-San Diego-Los Angeles-Death Valley-St. George-Las Vegas-Mohave County-Grand Canyon-Sedona-Phoenix. Told you it was a looong trip -lol-

8. Re: Going to the Sun Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 16:17