We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granite Park chalet

los angeles
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Granite Park chalet

I am planning a trip to gnp in late july 2008 and would like to include a night at the Granite Park chalet. I was in gnp in 2006 so I am familiar with the shuttle and the logistics of the park facilities. I will be at Lake McDonald lodge for 2 nights and then to Many Glacier for 4 nights. I would like to take the shuttle from Many Glacier to the highline trail, hike to Granite Park chalet and then return to Many Glacier via the swiftcurrent pass. Here are my questions: first - is granite park chalet worth an overnight experience or should I just make a day hike of the highline trail? second - is the swiftcurrent pass too steep and do I have to worry about grizzlies? should I just hike back on the highline trail? I will be traveling with my family which includes 3 children ages 12,12, 14; my husband; and my 67 year old mother. My mother has traveled with us for 10 years so she is used to long hikes. One more idea is to leave slow hikers at the lodge and hike the highline loop trail.

Mentioned in this post
Lake McDonald
Lake McDonald
674 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granite Park chalet

You might ask your question in this Glacier specific forum.

http://glacierparkchat.com/chat/

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Granite Park chalet

is granite park chalet worth the experience? What are your expectations?? Great setting with great day hiking around and views. Accomodation is OK. The trip out is 7.5 miles and has some up/down sections, but with rest stops anyone can hike it.

Swiftcurrent is steep on the way down on the otherside, but quite doable, just go slow and stop as the group needs it.

Griz, they are where they find you..............few people see them, but you are in some pretty good griz territory at the pass and down the other side into MG

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Granite Park chalet

RE: grizzley encounters, if you don't sneak up on them and suprise them, they will run the other way when they hear you coming. Hiking in a group your size is perfect. Sing, talk, make some noise along the trail, especially when approaching blind curves. The lead person(s) need to keep a sharp eye for wildlife. Biggest concern is getting between a Momma and her cubs, in which case she will attack to protect her babies. Otherwise, they will avoid humans.

Hiking with pepper spray is always a good idea if it will add to your peace of mind. You can buy it up here at numerous sporting goods stores, Sportsman Ski Haus between Whitefish and Kalispell is an awesome store that carries it. You cannot fly home with it, however.

Enjoy, sing, and don't worry so much about bears.

Mentioned in this post
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Minnesota
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granite Park chalet

In 2006, we did the that trip with our two kids 6 and 9 at the time. Coming out swiftcurrent pass was a nice hike. It is steep but you are coming down so its not too difficult. Staying at the Chalet was a good overnight experience. The chalet is very basic but it is a unique place. The view from there is great. I got up in the night to look at the stars and it was amazing. I think it was worth it because a day hike to the chalet and back would get extremely long, even if you come down the loop. If you are staying at the Chalet, you can do some of the extra spur trails like the one off the highline to the grinell glacier overlook which you might not have time to do if you were just day hiking.

los angeles
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Granite Park chalet

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have said adventure instead of experience. For the past 9 years I have planned a different summer road trip. Every summer I try to find something unique that my family can do that we will always remember. ie phantom ranch grand canyon, ice walk at the columbia icefield, angels landing, repelling and the virgin narrows at zion national park. We hiked in the snow at mt rainier, hiked delicate arch at arches np, slept in a treehouse in oregon and even had tea at the empress in victoria. I also try to find some kind of theatre performance to attend for my older daughter since she doesnt exactly love hiking. So if you have any other suggestions for glacier np, yellowstone or the grand tetons please let me know. thanks mommaE

6. Re: Granite Park chalet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 17:18