We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Glacier.

Plant City, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Glacier.

Hello everyone! My wife and I will going to Glacier in mid- October and we are looking for the must do's for our trip. We are avid hikers and love the outdoors, our last trip was to RMNP and had an outstanding time. So far we are looking at staying at the Swiftcurrent for our home base and travel from there. So any and all suggestions would be great! Thanks for your time...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

For a general overview, I recommend checking out the Inside Page I created specifically for the hikes I consider the best in Glacier. You can view this Inside Page by going to

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143026-c71836/Glacie…

If you'd like more specific recommendations, I can certainly do that as well. Just let me know.

Sean

Plant City, Florida
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

And one other thing, how long does it normal take to drive from Kalispell to Swiftcurrent Inn? We'll be driving in around noon from the airport and I know we'll encounter "tourist" (HAHA!)...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

If you don't stop along the way the drive will probably take around 2 1/2 hours. If that will be your first time driving through the park, I would plan on more like 6 hours because you'll want to stop ALL THE TIME!!! : )

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're planning to stay at Swiftcurrent in the motel in mid October. If that's true, Swiftcurrent closes in mid September. The park will be open and you may be able to get to Swiftcurrent or it may be snowed in.

You're going to the right place but may need a different time frame.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com has a trip report and several pictures from Glacier and that area. You can see the Glacier link at the top of the home page.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

looking at the glacier park inc website, the last day of operation for swiftcurrent is the night of the 28th of Sept.

so if you go mid october, you will have to use an outside the park facility like st. mary's lodge. or glacier trailside cabins (but i don't know if they are open - the cabins...) you can also get some seriously not fun weather, rain and snow and sleet (yep that's what i got) early sept. much better and the weather is better.

having said that the hiking at many glacier is wonderful...

grinnell glacier, iceberg lake, ptarmigan tunnel (which is still on my list)

I highly recommend going late august to get a chance at staying at sperry chalet. what a great experience. go to sperrychalet.com they will start taking reservations today, Oct 29th for the 2008 season.

6. Re: Hiking in Glacier.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 06:17