We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to sun rd & weather

Elkhorn WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
going to sun rd & weather

I am planning trip to GNP june 24-28 will going to the sun rd be open or will it be clsed for construction?

Can any one tell me do I pack shorts or jeans?

I say in one review that hiking in the higher elevations we may find snow. I planned on my good walking shoes to hike in - will taht work or will the snow be to deep? Note - we will not do a lot of hiking in higher evlevations

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to sun rd & weather

According to the NPS web site they plan on a June 13 opening for the Going to the Sun Road. That will be dependent on the progress of snow plowing and early season road construction. We have had a very good snow year in North Idaho and northwestern Montana so getting the road open as projected may be a challenge. Based on this years snow pack, unless we have a warm spring and early summer, you can expect snow in higher elevations. Lower elevation locations such as Lake McDonald area, St. Mary's Lake area, and Many Glacier area should have snow free lower elevation hikes. Most trails are in good shape in the park, but you may want to wear shoes that can deal with mud, you might also consider long pants because you may run into early season mosquito crop. In June the days will be warm but not hot, evenings may require a jacket or sweater.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to sun rd & weather

snow pack in Glacier is average this year, just depends on the amount of rain we get and how quickly that takes away the snow. No jeans, they get wet and you can never get warm once that happens. Shorts may owrk, just depends on the day. Highline will not be open, but you can attack swiftcurrent via the loop. Road construction could be extensive, just something we have to deal with.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to sun rd & weather

Bring shorts, long pants and rain gear. That way you'll be covered for rain or heat, both of which may occur in June. Stay to lower elevations if you don't want to encounter snow.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to sun rd & weather

I expect that you will check as your trip nears for the GNP website for up to date road and trail conditions.

Pack both.

Regarding walking shoes and snow depth... I don't see the issue as between those two. I suggest that you wear hiking shoes whether conditions are wet or dry, for their support and lugs, and because you don't know trail conditions at any time, much less that time of year.

5. Re: going to sun rd & weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 05:21