We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Trip Itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Summer Trip Itinerary

-We are going on a summer trip to the American, and Canadian rockies, with children 11 and 16. We need to know if this itinerary sounds good, of if we should change anything. Also need help on where to stay between our desinations, and what are the most senic roads to take.We will be flying into Jackson, and out of Spokane.

-is it worth spending a day driving the beartooth highway? Thanks!

Summer 2008 Itinerary

Aug 12: Jackson, Wyoming (Grand Teton National Park)

Aug 13: Jackson, Wyoming (Grand Teton National Park)

Aug 14: Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming

Aug 15: Yellowstone National Park

Aug 16: Yellowstone National Park

Aug 17: Yellowstone National Park

Aug 18: Make a 1 nights stop between Yellowstone and Glacier National Park

Aug 19: Glacier National Park, Montana

Aug 20: Glacier National Park

Aug 21: Glacier National Park

Aug 22: Banff National Park,

Aug 23: Banff National Park

Aug 24: Banff National Park

Aug 25: Jasper National Park, Alberta- Canada

Aug 26: Jasper National Park

Aug 27: Lake Louise, Alberta- Canada

Aug 28: Make a 1 night stop between Lake Louise and Spokane

Aug 29: Spokane, Washington

Aug 30: Home

Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer Trip Itinerary

Your itinerary looks like fun.

Do you actually have reservations to support this or are you hoping? Finding a place in Yellowstone may be impossible at this point. Glacier may be full too. You can find something outside the parks, I imagine, if you need to.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer Trip Itinerary

Good point, akj. You will similarly want to firm up your lodging reservations for Jasper immediately. Hotel rooms are at a premium there, and book up quickly. I imagine you are going to have to scramble to find something there at this point in time. You might want to look into home lodging in Jasper. I will give you more info on this in the Alberta forum.

Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer Trip Itinerary

You have 3 days for Banff and one for Lake Louise. Personally, I liked the Lake Louise area better than Banff. It was more serene to me. Between Jasper and Lake Louise, look into a glacier tour (Athabasca Glacier, I belive) on the Icefields Parkway.Brewster, is the company that does the tours. The Parkway was a beautiful road and there are good places to stop for pictures and short hikes. Peyto Lake is also off the icefields parkway and is gorgeous! Tetons and Yellowstone are great too, but Lake Louise is my personal favorite. We are going to Glacier in June, so can't comment on that one yet, but looking forward to visiting it! We paddled a canoe around Lake Louise and it was wonderful! You should also go to Moraine Lake while in that area. Plain of Six Glaciers hike at Lake Louise was fun and amazing. There is a tea house along the hike where you can stop for a snack. We stayed at Deer Lodge in Lake Louise and loved it. Johnson Canyon, off 1A(I think) between Banff and Lake Louise was a nice hike, but crowded area.Spiral Tunnels, Emerald Lake, Natural Bridges, and Takakkaw Falls are other things around that area(some in Yoho Park) that I enjoyed seeing.

I am babbling and didn't really answer your lodging question. As several other people have posted, you may be too late to get some in park lodging. I would rather stay inside the parks if I can. In Grand Teton we stayed right out the park at The Alpenhof in the Teton Village. I liked this better than the night we stayed in the town of Jackson Hole.It is at a back entrance to the park and you pass an area where we saw moose several times going into and out of the park. In Yellowstone we stayed at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, but would've loved the Old Faithful Inn if we could've gotten a room. The Snow Lodge is newer if that is better for you and is a short walk from the Old Faithful Inn and Old Faithful itself. Hope all this helps. Your trip sounds wonderful! Have fun!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer Trip Itinerary

In answer to your first question, "Is is worth spending a day to drive the Beartooth Scenic Byway," the answer is a resounding "YES!" At this late day, as others have said, you may have trouble getting the lodging you want. Some of my favorites include Jackson Lake Lodge in the Tetons; Buckrail Lodge in Jackson, Wyoming; Many Glacier Lodge in Glacier National Park, Paradise Bungalows in the Lake Louise area, and Becker's Chalets in Jasper. I would spend three nights at Lake Louise and one in Banff, however, unless you want to shop! I'm headed for Glacier and Banff myself September 3, so you will be blazing the trail before me!

5. Re: Summer Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 00:17