We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

Rye, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

I am planning a 2-week vacation for late August in which I will be spending about 6 days in both Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks. I would like to fly in and fly out of the same airport, but am not sure as to which airport would be best for exploring both parks.

Great Falls seems to be a sort-of midpoint between both parks, and I was thinking about flying there, driving down to Yellowstone, driving from Yellowstone to Glacier, and then driving from Glacier to the airport (to fly out).

I am not familiar with this area, and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

I know from Atlanta that the best airports to fly in and out of are Bozeman, MT., Billings, MT.,Butte, MT., Great Falls, Mt. or Kalispell, MT. for both parks or Jackson Hole for Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. We usually fly Delta and I know that they fly to these cities. For us most are not direct service except to Jackson Hole. We have to change planes in either SLC or Denver to the other places in Montana. It probably is similar for someone flying out of New York. Check a travel site like Travelocity and they will check prices and tell you who flys where.

Rye, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

Great. Thank you! I will look into all of these airports...

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

You have a couple of options. You can try flying into Missoula and heading into YNP in a southeasterly direction stopping to visit ghost towns, Butte etc entering thru West Yellowstone, then heading out north towards GNP via Helena and looping back out west thru the GTTS road down thru the Flathead Lake area (Should be nice).

Check with the airlines and the auto rental companies to determine which airport has the better rates.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,736 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

I agree also check car rental prices. Some companies do not allow unlimited mileage except in one state. Read contract info carefully. I was going to rent a SUV out of Denver but carefully read contract and unlimited mileage was only for Colorado and Wyoming. We are going to South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming.

Good luck.

Rye, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

Helena too seems to be a convenient midpoint, with a good variety of affordable flights to its airport.

I will look into the car rental companies. I know that car costs add up quickly...

Thanks again!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

as i've posted before, when looking into rental cars in this area, make sure you get unlimited miles... not all the airports car rentals offer this. Kalispell does, so does jackson. i would fly into kalispell or jackson (probably jackson) because why end up in the middle? a circle is a cirlce, this way your last day can be spent in the nearby park.... jackson is a cute town to walk around in.... I really like both airports...

Rye, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

I'll look into these airports. Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea about the rental policies before your posts.

Miami, Fl
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

If you're open to fly in/out of 2 different airports, I would suggest into Billing and out of Kalispell - you can then drive into YNP via the Beartooth Highway, out the west and up to GNP. I did book quite sometime ago so I amy have gotten better rates thru Delta (via SLC), but it's worth a try. The best deals on the one way rental (including unlimited miles) were offered by National and Enterprise at that time.....

9. Re: Best Airport for 14-Day Trip to Glacier and Yellowstone NPs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 06:30