We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Glacier...is it worth it?

Southern California
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
East Glacier...is it worth it?

OK, another question for everybody. I am trying to plan our trip and I can not decided if it is worth it to stay/see East Glacier, or just skip by this and drive straight into Glacier NP. We are driving from Spokane and I am trying to figure out if we should go to E. Glacier for one night or drive to Many Glacier. Any thoughts?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Glacier...is it worth it?

I would definitely say a side trip to East Glacier is a great idea. The lodge in East Glacier (the Glacier Park Lodge) is amazing inside...there are several huge, incredibly straight Douglas Fir Trees. It is quite amazing inside & full of history. The huge firs actually led to the local Blackfeet calling it the "Big Tree Lodge," a nickname which has stuck with the place ever since. Here are a couple photos of the lodge...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

A visit to the Two Medicine region of the park (just a short drive west from East Glacier) is also a must! Two Medicine Lake is very impressive with its astounding peaks that encompass it. A short hike to Running Eagle Falls would be most impressive in late June with all of the snowmelt. Other hikes are possible (if you are interested) as this is one of the best hiking destinations in the park. Here are some photos of the Two Medicine region.

Two Medicine Lake in the morning...

Two Medicine Lake in the evening...

Running Eagle Falls...

Rockwell Falls...

Along Two Medicine Pass Trail...

Cobalt Lake...

Let me know if you have any questions

Sean

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Glacier...is it worth it?

Oops...looks like I left out the link for the Running Eagle Falls picture. Here it is...

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Glacier...is it worth it?

For sure, don't miss out on Going To The Sun Road, which will take you to the east side of the park where you can enjoy all the diverse beauty of that side.

When you drive in from Spokane, if you want the fastest route, from the Interstate 90 in MT take the St. Regis cutoff and head north east. There is a big highway sign on the Interstate saying "Glacier National Park, next exit". Don't go all the way to Missoula if your destination is GNP. Bring a MT map with you, as you will change two-lane highways about 3 times to utlize this cutoff. Cell phones and GPS systems don't always work out there, but the highways are good, and the locals go this route between Spokane and the Flathead Valley.

Just an extra 2 cents worth of advice you didn't even ask about!

Safe travels.

4. Re: East Glacier...is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 09:24