We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

I realize that higher elevation hikes will not be open in June but are there enough options to hike the 3rd week in June? We are day hikers. Are there areas that I should not bother staying in due to inaccessibilty of the hikes? I plan on 2 days MacDonald Lake, 2 days Many Glacier,2 days Waterton ,2 days East Glacier. Is this recommended?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

There are plenty of lower elevation hikes and scenic drives that will keep you entertained in Waterton, even in late June.

Level Contributor
26 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

In 2007 my husband and I stayed 6 nights at Many Glacier. It is a breathtaking spot on the shore of a lake, facing two mountains. We hiked every day and adored our choices. There are two well-know hikes, one to Iceberg Lake and the other upward in another direction--maybe called Glacier trail. Unfortunately, the Iceberg Lake trail was closed because of bear sightings, so we did the other trail twice. You can take a ferry across part of the lake, saving about 2 miles to the trail head that rises from the low level. Or, you could just take the ferry back to the hotel, saving some effort on the return. I cannot emphasize how glorious this scenery is.

Another two days were spent on road that crosses the park. Behind the visitors center on that road, you will find a sensational trail outward, across flower covered prairies with peaks all around and friendly mountain goats roaming about. You can go out on that trail and go down to a lake if you have time. The second day on that famous road we hiked out to a chalet where we spent the night. You can hike that trail and come down to the road on the same day (a steep descent) if you want. That, too, is gorgeous.

Our hiking near Lake MacDonald was less spectacular; it's lower and in a forest most of the way. And on another day we drove down to the east park entrance to hike a lake where you take a ferry across to the trail head. For that hike you need to start early because the drive takes a while, the ferry takes a while, and you must return for the last ferry back across the lake. We did not find the hiking down there as rewarding as the hiking up at Many Glacier or on the Road across the park. But generally the area is wonderful.

Many Glacier Hotel is historic, but it's quite spare in terms of room comforts. Also, we felt the food there was less than wonderful except for a hamburger in the bar. An no stores or restaurants are really close by. But the beauty of the area would call me back in a second--so do not expect too much in the housing department.

You'll get good advice from rangers when you arrive. Enjoy! The animal life and scenery are worth the effort of getting there.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

I might be tempted to take the 2 days in East Glacier and add 1 each to Waterton and Many Glacier.

We stayed at Swiftcurrent when we were there and loved it. Grinnell Glacier probably won't be open to the top but some of it should be. Red Rock Falls is a nice hike. Not too long but pretty. Iceberg Lake was closed when we were there too.

If you're interested, here's a link to our trip report and a lot of pictures. We were there in mid July. You might find the Swiftcurrent Area Pictures link interesting. It includes Many Glacier too.

4. Re: Enough day hike options 3rd week in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 06:20