We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

How will I find planning for and visiting Glacier different from Yellowstone? For example, Yellowstone lodging reservations has a toll-free #,Glacier doesn't. And lodging reservations are best made a year in advance in Yellowstone. Do you have to plan that far ahead in Glacier? And are the summer crowds as heavy in Glacier? And are you better off staying overnite in a couple different areas to see the whole park? And will we see as much wildlife? What can you tell me about comparing the 2 parks?

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

Many pictures and some planning information on our website. Some of it may help.

www.alandsuejohnson.com

Glacier and Yellowstone links on the left

The link for reservations there is http://www.glacierparkinc.com/.

I didn't see an 800 number either. Even with Xanterra you're better off dealing by phone.

Mid July is a good time to go to Glacier. Snow at higher elevations. When we went, Grinnell Glacier wasn't open until then and we still hiked through some snow. It was melting like crazy but was still there. That's a little later than when we like to go to YNP.

As far as reservations, call and find out what's available. We really enjoyed Swiftcurrent Motor Inn and thought its location to be wonderful. Many Glacier Hotel is only a mile away and many people like it too. Both are well inside the park on the east side. We spent 5 nights there and 1 on the west side.

I think you can stay in one place in Glacier much easier than Yellowstone.

Glacier is a park that should be hiked (or at least walked). You don't have to do serious back country stuff but you need to get off the roads. There's a couple of the trails that we tried to document with photos on our website.

Mentioned in this post
Grinnell Glacier
Grinnell Glacier
505 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Many Glacier Hotel
Many Glacier Hotel
222 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

You can make reservations a year in advance but you usually can get reservations just a few months in advance. You just may not get the exact room you want. Even though the phone number isn't toll free, I also think you are better off to call. Glacier seems to be most crowded in August. You can stay in one location and see the park but will do a lot of driving. I would concentrate on the Many Glacier area but spend maybe one or two nights on the west side. That way you can drive across the GTTSR without rushing and then stay on the west side and do a couple of hikes there.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

Yellowstone is far more crowded than Glacier, though August is the busy time for Glacier. Just get on the road by 8 am in Glacier and you miss 90% of the traffic. Reservations are best in advance, and the lodges fill up quickly, more so due to the bus tours. Other options are available by googling st. mary and west glacier.

2 different areas of stay will be better for Glacier, one east and one west. Typically, yellowstone has more wildlife, and has the geologic features. Glacier as more dramatic scenery as you are right in the mountains.

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

Hi Simbasmom32, Different type parks with exceptional qualities. Just a little comparison.

Glacier, Majestic alpine scenery, a hikers delight.

Yellowstone, Our first national park, Incomparable wildlife, thermal activity, wide open spaces !!!

Harlingen,TX
Level Contributor
965 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

Thanks everyone! July it is-early, though, since our home is in hurricane country. The website you gave me the link to has been very helpful.

Tacoma, WA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

My husband and I are planning for our 1 year anniversary which is Aug. 10th. We have about a week of vacation. Where should we go, Glacier or Yellowstone? I would like to backpack most of the time, but stay in a nice room at a lodge for our actual anniversary night. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

NWGreen, welcome to the forum!

You will get responses directly to your request if you re-post as a separate question rather than tagging on to Simbas, even though your question is related.

There are many threads of discussion between the two parks, bottom line is, you won't go wrong with either.

Do, however, check out the Sperry Chalet in Glacier Park. You backpack in to this historic stone Chalet and have a nice meal and a bed waiting for you. Advance reservations fill up early. I've not done it, but it's on my bucket list!

8. Re: Glacier NP vs.Yellowstone NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 08:20