We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

We are planning a trip to GNP for the last week of June 2009. I would like to stay someplace outside of the park, but my husband is concerned that there will be a long line to enter the park each morning at the West Glacier entrance. Can anyone tell me if we should expect a back-up at the entrance each morning that we go to the park at that time of year? Thanks.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Where are you staying? Whitefish and Kalispell will be 45 minute drives. The longest we have ever been in line was about 15-20 minutes. If you get there early, you might avoid a wait. I hope this post doesn't show up twice, the first time didn't seem to go thru.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Whitefish is a bit of a drive, Columbia Falls has a couple of places 15 min. outside West Glacier. There are places right outside the park, Belton Chalet and Glacier Highland, 3 mins away. Lines for the park can be nothing, to 15 min. Most people are later entries, after 9 am. Get up and in and you'll have no waiting.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Two thoughts. One, if you are driving an RV over a certain length, which I doubt, there are park rules about access and GTTS.

Two, there is a "park experience", IMO, by staying in the parks. If you can find lodging, that you like.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

A third thought... the "park experience" can be at any NP, but moreso in, for example, Yellowstone, Yosemite and others where there are central locations. At GNP, one of its thrills is GTTS, so I've repeated that road each time I've been there. If you like hiking, you are in for a treat!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,174 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like we'll just have to roust the teens out of bed a bit early to avoid the crowds. We are certainly looking forward to some good hiking.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

Not sure what kind of crowds you are used to but if you wait until after noon - there can be a long line - probably a wait of a max of 15 minutes - and I mean max. I have NEVER waited that long but make sure I enter the park in the morning. Have a great trip!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

you should check out hungry horse, montana also apgar village inn is practically in the park but a private concern.

westglacier.com/west_glacier_park_lodging.php

this is a great place to stay

8. Re: How Long Does it Take to Enter the Park at West Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:19