We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

I am planning a trip to Glacier 7/25 - 8/1.. We are flying into Kalispell and will probably spend the night there since the flight will get in around 6:35 and will pick up a rental car at the airport.. We will travel to Swiftcurrent for Sun & Monday, then we will stay at Many Glacier on Tues night.(which is all I could book there) (we have six in our group)..That is all I have booked so far??

Since I am traveling with my husband & kids (26 & 24) and their significant others.. I wanted something a little more exciting like WW rafting which I understand is more on the West Glacier end.. So my question is: I have 3 nights to book.. should I book in West Glacier at something like the Glacier Outdoor Center or Great Northern Whitewater Resort?? I believe Lake McD is booked up..( Its hard getting accomodations for 6 in the park). I wanted to be closer to the West end since we were flying out of Kalispell on 8/1 at noon...

Any/all opinions would be welcome... thanks....

Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

I would take a look at Apgar Village Lodge (www.westglacier.com) I've stayed there a few times and they have reasonable rates on their rooms and cabins, some of which are right on Lake McDonald.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

Also look into Village Inn run by the same concession company as other park lodging. They have family rooms that can accomodate up to six if you ask for certain rooms. They may or may not be booked, but it is right on the shore of Lake McDonald. It is also close if you travel out of the park for rafting or other activities. Furnishings old but when we stayed it was very clean. The location is the key. It is in the same area as Apgar Village Inn or Motel and both are convenient to shops and restaurants.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

ditto all the above. Also note that it will stay light out until 10 pm, so you have the option of driving further then evening you arrive.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,828 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

Have you considered renting a house/cabin through VRBO? I'm doing this for our trip to Glacier and found many properties in the West Glacier area.

virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

Thanks so much for the replies.. I had thought about Glacier Outdoor Center/GN Whitewater Resort because of my kids... I think they will be "shocked" when they see the accomodations because I am sure they have never stayed in accomodations like what is in the Park... I would hope the surrounding scenery and activities would be worth the stay in a "modest" room.. I realize we are not in Glacier for the lodging and it wouldn't make any difference to me where I stayed as long as it was clean and neat..

This is my 30th Anniversary in July and I pretty much demanded that my kids go with us.. (they really want to go) I wanted it to be a family trip because I don't think there will be too many of those in the future ... So... I just didn't want them to think they had to stay in dumpy accomodations all week...

Thanks again...

virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

PS... I had no idea it stayed light until 10 PM!!! Do you think I ought to try and drive that night to Swiftcurrent..??

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

On on VRBO Try the Bear's Den....its about 5 miles outside west glacier entrance. Looks very nice and BIG its in a remote location......My family will be staying there end of June.

virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

Thanks so much for the VRBO advice... that seems exactly like what we need... Some are weekly rentals which is a bummer but I think I found several with 3 day rentals... I cannot WAIT for this trip...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just gotta figure out what to bring clothes wise!!!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

That time of year mostly warm weather clothes, but a jacket of some sort, especially if hiking to any passes as they tend to be windy. Also some rain gear as you never know about that. We usually take t-shirts, a long sleeve shirt, jacket and rain gear for that time of year. You can layer and don't need a lot of cold weather clothes (hopefully). Most of the time in July/August if you get cold weather it doesn't hang around long.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice/opinions on our Glacier Trip!!

Dianniec,

Shocking your twenty-something kids with accommodations that are a bit funky as a way of celebrating your special occasion might not be the best approach for happy family times. (I speak from experience here). While it's commendable that you and your husband can easily adapt to the second-hand furniture store quality of GNP historic hotels, dealing with adult kids' attitudes is something else to consider. These hotels are lovely to visit for a meal and a drink on the veranda, and to browse the lobbies and shops.

The suggestions to try for a vacation rental might be more suitable. If you had a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, you might find it more enjoyable to have the common areas of kitchen, living room, decks, etc. to have for your own private family time, as opposed to shared lobby space in a hotel. It also gives you more flexibility with eating instead of always making group restaurant decisions.

Even with the "one week minimum stay" requirements, you can inquire if they will accept a shorter stay. Also, the Glacier Raft Company cabins are quite nice, and very convenient to West Glacier.

There are an abundance of vacation rentals, just use google and there are many sites in addition to the excellent vrbo.com

The town of Whitefish is a magnet for 20-somethings into adventure sports. Loads of nice shops, restaurants, etc. there. It would be a nice day trip, or even for an overnight on your last night because it's close to FCA. Also, for the ones who love heights, "Walk in the Treetops" in Whitefish gets rave reviews as an experience to thrill.

Have a great time!

PS People here in MT don't usually dress up, so simplify your wardrobe and packing as much as possible. You can go into any fine dining establishment wearing your hiking shoes and attire and not feel out of place.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park