We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

!st time to GNP

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
772 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
!st time to GNP

Just started looking at info for Glacier. Thinking about summer 2010. We usually go to YNP and GTNP. Glacier would be completly new.

My first question would be about lodging. In Yellowstone I find it best to stay in different locations. Last trip we started in GTNP for 3 nights, one night at Lake and 2 nights in Mammoth. Is traveling around the best approach for Glacier or is one area better than others for lodging?

We will be traveling with a five year old and possible grandparents (4 adults, 1 child). We will either be driving from WA or arriving by train and renting a car. Lodging has to be either separate rooms or two bedroom units. Suggestions?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: !st time to GNP

You might read down many of the previous posts for ideas. Also, it helps to know what parts of the park you would like to visit as lodging can be directed based on the area you are in. I'm sure there will be a number of suggestions coming. Also, budget and style/comfort requirements will help people to point you in the right direction.

Nashville,Tn
Level Contributor
53 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: !st time to GNP

0513, you will love Glacier! Having been to all three parks you mentioned, Glacier is my favorite. One thing you will discover is that the park is more isolated than Yellowstone or the Tetons. We went there mostly to hike, and most of the best trails are found on the eastern side of the park. We rented a house in East Glacier through VRBO and were very pleased. There are several historic lodges in the park that would get you closer to the trails and would help you have more of the full "Glacier experience." They are rustic however (sort of like the Old Faithful Inn)-it's not the Hilton, but I find that attractive. I thought the most beautiful part of the park was the Many Glacier area, and that area also has some of the best hiking and riding trails.

I guess the first step is to figure out what you want to do and see in Glacier, and then start looking for lodging. The town of West Glacier is popular, but you would have to drive further each day to get to the hiking trails.

Enjoy your trip!

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
772 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: !st time to GNP

Our favorite place in the world is GTNP, so Glacier sounds like what we're looking for.

As for what we want to do myself, husband and Grandpa like to hike and get outside, Grandma's not so interested. More of a car sightseer and gift shop hopper. Lodging in park would probably be best, especially if grandparents come along.

We like the old cabins (with bathrooms) of Yellowstone, Mammoth's are my favorite, so we're not looking for anything fancy. It wouldn't be a NP if it were too modern, right?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: !st time to GNP

We are also going to Glacier for the first time but are used to Yellowstone and the Tetons. I received some great info and advice here.

Since you're not planning on going until 2010 you have plenty of time to research lodging-I felt more pressed for time but I'm confident we'll be pleased with where we've chosen. We're also fans of the cabins in Yellowstone, especially Mammoth. We are a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids and we're staying our first night at Glacier Park Lodge, the 2nd at Village Inn, and the 3rd and 4th at Swiftcurrent. The Glacier Park Lodge is "fancier" than what we usually stay at in the parks but heck, it looked really pretty and I thought the pool would be nice for the kids after a long day's drive. Granted, Village and Swiftcurrent are not cabins, but they seem to be on par with the cabins at Yellowstone, more so than the hotels at Yellowstone. Village Inn has 2 and 3 bedroom units that would probably accommodate you and the grandparents just fine, and for less money than 2 rooms. That said, all the advice I have received recommends staying on the other side of the park for the majority of the trip, which we are.

My one piece of advice when comparing lodging at Glacier to that of Yellowstone is that the concessionaire at Glacier includes lodging outside the limits of the park (Glacier Park Lodge) as well as excluding certain lodging within the park (Apgar Village). Since you're used to Yellowstone, you should understand what I'm saying-I was used to one company handling ALL the lodging but only WITHIN the park. Apgar Village looks nice, seems to be right near the Village Inn, and has cabins and is competitively priced. On the other hand, Glacier Park Lodge is without the park boundaries, but is pretty darn close. At Yellowstone, outside the park is a haul-doesn't really seem to be the case, or at least not to the same extreme, at Glacier.

Like I said, we haven't been there yet but I'm confident we'll be pleased with our choices-give me a bed and I'm fine-but the reservation process is a bit different than what I'm used to at Yellowstone.

5. Re: !st time to GNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 03:16