We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

I would like info on which is more scenic e.g wildlife driving, not necessarily hiking in September. Any info would be helpful.

Capelle aan den...
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

Jermae,

Both parks are full of wildlife and very scenic. It is difficult to compare. Both beautiful, just different.

However, I think Yellowstone is more like a Zoo you can drive through, literally, especially if you like to see Bison. If you stick to the road in yellowstone it is difficult to get that tru nature experience, just too many windshield tourist around.

Glacier with the "Going to the Sun" road is also very beautiful, but you to work a bit harder to experience it better. If you do, e.g. do some hiking, the rewards are there.

If you include Waterton Lakes (Canada) into you Glacier trip go drive the Akamina Parkway and the Red Rock Canyon Parkway, there is a good chance to spot a bear.

ibs
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

We just returned from a trip to Jackson (GTNP), Yellowstone and Glacier. We saw a bit more wildlife in Yellowstone/GT from the car (bison, elk, moose, eagles) but we saw lots of grizzly bears in Glacier, including two a bit too close while hiking a trail! Both parks are wonderful, just very different. Because we love to hike, I prefered Glacier to Yellowstone. It was more scenic and much less crowded.

Southeast PA
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

We just did that same trip. I have to agree with you.. both are very different. More wildlife viewing in Yellowstone.. but Glacier was beautiful.. as was Teton NP.. We didn't get the priviledge to see and grizzley, tho.

Big Sky, MT
Level Contributor
148 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

Much more wildlife viewing in Yellowstone, though the scenery in Glacier can't be beat. It is likely, however, that Going-To-The-Sun Road will be closed toward the end of the month. I would definitely find out before traveling.

Elk in Yellowstone are starting to rut in September, so you may get to hear some bugling. That usually happens in the evening. If you have never heard before, I would try to plan around it. It's an otherworldly sound. Mammoth Hot Springs, Hayden Valley and the Norris-Madison areas are all good candidates for Elk. Bison are more in the central and southern portions, but can be seen anywhere. Bears could also be anywhere, but are not as common as in Glacier.

Clarkston, MI
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: glacier natl park are vs. yellowstone

GTTS road was closed on Sept 9th, right after we got through Logan Pass. The whole 4 days we were @ Glacier, it rained and snowed and the clouds covered the mountains. I know that you can't control the weather, but it literaly "put a damper" on our Glacier experience. Did see a Momma Black bear and her twin cubs.

By the time we drove down to YNP & Tetons, the weather was fabulous and the elk were very active.

I've decided that I want to move somewhere north of Yellowstone, visit all three parks, and become a cowgirl in my stare time!!!