We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2010

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Summer 2010

Hello, we are planning a return to the wonderful state of Montana as we could not fit Glacier in on our last visit. I'd like some advice about cabins, must have two separate bedrooms. Also an idea about where to stay, possibly just outside the park. One of our party is desperate to go horse riding again and the others would like advice on how best to see the park from the car. (Would love to hike but a cycling accident has put paid to this!)We are pretty flexible as to whether we stay east or west of the park. Hope this request is not too demanding.

Diolch/Thanks

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer 2010

If you want a cabin with two bedrooms check www.vrbo.com for cabins near the park. You can get a family room at some of the in park hotels(Village Inn, Many Glacier) but don't know if this will fit your needs. In park lodging is very basic. Don's Hideaway(cabin), not far from Many Glacier gets pretty good reviews. You can ride horses at Lake McDonald and the Many Glacier area. I'm sure there may be others but I know they leave from those two places. If you are not hiking and just sightseeing, I think you can stay on one side of the park and do day trips. It really doesn't matter which side, where ever you can find the lodging you want. The Many Glacier area is not on the GTTSR and about 30 minutes from the end of the road, Two Medicine is another nice area also located away from the main park. Make sure to try and include these areas. What time of year are you planning your trip?

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer 2010

Thanks for your reply. We are planning to visit next summer in July or August. One of our party is a teacher so have no choice in the time of year.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer 2010

That should be a great time to visit. The road will be open (there may be construction delays) and all facilities operating. Hope you can find a cabin. If you use the vrbo site, it is divided into different areas surrounding the park. You may also want to look into a Red Bus Tour. They usually hit all the scenic spots and you don't have to worry about driving.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer 2010

When you get to the park entrance, ask if the free shuttle is running. If you can take this shuttle, It goes to Logan Pass from each side so you would have to transfer to get all the way across, but the view is nice and someone else is doing the driving for you so all you have to do is relax and catch all the views.

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer 2010

My wife and I are both teachers....were going in June. Since you are planning in advance, you have pretty much your choice of locations. We did the same, I would recommend using vrbo.com...put in Bear's Den. This cabin has 3 bedrooms, in a remote location just outside of East Glacier entrance. Also on the other side. Book a suite at Many Glacier, there a 2 rooms plus you are gauranteed at balcony.

Good Luck, enjoy planning

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer 2010

Horseback riding is available inside the park at Many Glacier and at Lake McDonald Lodge. I'd pick Many Glacier---the area is spectacular!

Plus, while one of your party is horseback riding, the others can take the boat tour across the two lakes (Swiftcurrent and Josephine). That was where we saw our only bear last summer, after days of hiking---the bear was up on the slopes of Grinnell Mountain, visible from the boat.

http://www.glacierparkboats.com/

7. Re: Summer 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:18