We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier National Park to Banff

Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
138 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier National Park to Banff

Does anyone know what the road is like from Glacier NdP to Banff? We are thinking of driving it in early September.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

I will be doing this drive the first week of August and could update you with specifics after then. Email me directly if you don't have good info by then.

Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
138 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

Thanks I will look for your reply.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

I'm sorry I cannot help you with this one. However, I do know a TA member here that I'm fairly certain could help you with the question. I'm going to send her a private message & see if she can help you out with your inquiry.

Sean

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

The road(s) from GNP to Banff are excellent paved roads. They are well-maintained and in good condition - they are major provincial highways.

In early September, you should not have any serious weather considerations, either.

The driving route I recommend from GNP to Banff is as follows:

(From Chief Mountain border crossing north of St Mary, Montana)

- #6 highway north past Waterton Lakes NP to Pincher Creek, AB (possible detour into Waterton NP if time permits)

- #3 hwy about 10 miles west to #22 hwy. (interesting short detour would be to drive another 5 miles or so west of this intersection, to take in the historic Frank Slide and interpretive Centre, at Frank, AB)

- #22 hwy north (the Cowboy Trail) to Longview, AB (Possible stops along the way include the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site and Ian Tyson's Navajo Mug coffee shop and gift shop in Longview. Longview is also a great place for lunch, if you're hungry.)

- hwy 541/40 west from Longview (the Kananaskis Trail) to the #1 hwy (many picnic and hiking spots along this 100 mile road)

- #1 hwy west to Canmore and Banff NP

While this won't affect your trip in September, there are two points worth mentioning, in the event that another vacation planner happens to read this thread:

- the Chief Mountain border crossing is closed from October 1 thru May 14th annually, and has reduced hours in September and the last 2 weeks of May - 9 am to 6 pm daily.

- The Kananaskis Trail (hwy 40 from Longview to Canmore) is closed annually from December 1st through June 14th for wildlife management.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

I thought you might come through on this on CG! Great advice here!

Utah
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

Hi Camping Girl,

Regarding your post about Chief Mountain border closing ealier in September. I was hopeing to get a very early start over the border from GNP to Jasper on Sept.4th. Do you know if 9am will definately be the earliest I could cross? Is there a set date each year or does it varry from year to year? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

Hi sweldon,

On Sept 4th of this year you should be in luck - the reduced hours don't start until after Labour Day annually which, for 2009, is Sept 7th.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

I can vouch that you can't cross the Chief Mountain border earlier... I was sitting there for an hour last September when I tried to get an early start and didn't realize what their hours were! And it happened to be cold and rainy that morning, so there wasn't even anything to see while I was waiting. BUT, the Kannanaskis Trail mentioned in the previous post is absolutely stunning. The mountains rival those in Banff National Park. Stop at the Kannanskis Lakes if you can. I've often seen moose and mountain goats (or mountain sheep... I get them mixed up!) And if you're hungry by the time you get to Longview, stop at the Black Cat. It's an odd little restaurant with the absolutely best cheese omelet I've ever had! Enjoy your trip. The roads are very good, but this scenic route does take some time to travel, so don't expect it to be a "shortcut."

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

Yes, the Black Cat Swiss Restaurant in Longview makes really great food; I've eaten there many times! As stated, it is a little eclectic, but the food is really great. Same thing goes for the Longview Steakhouse and Twin Cities Hotel.

It is worth noting that the Chief Mountain border crossing hours from June 1 through Labour Day (the first Monday in September) are 7 am to 10 pm.

The closest border crossing option outside of Chief Mountain is the Carway crossing, south of Cardston. (east of Chief Mountain) This office is open 7 am to 11 pm all year round. Another crossing, which is further away, is Roosville, at Grasmere, BC. This is a 24 hour crossing.

I hope this helps anyone planning a trip into Canada from GNP.

Mahtomedi
Level Contributor
138 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glacier National Park to Banff

Camping Girl thank you soo much!!!! That is just what I was looking for. I copied your directions and put them in a travel file. We will just take the whole day to drive up to Banff, no hurry. This is why I love TripAdvisor.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park