We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at Glacier

seattle
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Camping at Glacier

So now we are thinking about camping at Glacier. Does anyone have any input on this? We are really looking for something that you can drive up to. Any help is appreciated!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping at Glacier

Tent, trailer, or RV? We've camped at Rising Sun and Two Medicine with our tent, and have looked at the campground at Many Glacier, all of which you could drive your car up and pitch a tent next to it or set up your trailer or RV. Reserve ahead so you know you will have a site when you get there.

seattle
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping at Glacier

We are bringing our tent. Are there any places with views of water?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping at Glacier

Loads of campgrounds, many do not fill until the end of the day, so if you can arrive midday you should be fine. Lots have views of water, but these go fast. Also, they are reporting higher useage of all MT campgrounds this year, likely due to the fact that we all want to save money and still have a great life. Weekends, of course, are more crowded.

Enjoy!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping at Glacier

We really liked our stay at Rising Sun last week. The upper loop is generator-free zone but the lower loop where we stayed was just as quiet. Easy access to the free GNP shuttle buses is a huge advantage as we learned after a couple days at Fish Camp Creek. At both Rising Sun and Many Glaciers there is a nice store within walking distance, a restaraunt, and access to hot showers.

Enjoy your visit. We sure did.

John

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping at Glacier

I just came back. Camped at Rising Sun and Many Glacier. But I scoped out Apgar, Bowman, Sprague Creek, Avalanche, St Mary, CutBank and 2 Medicine. None were truely right next to the water but most all were very near some kind of body of water (whether a creek or lake). I thought the one with the best view of water/mountains was 2 Medicine (not all sites, but many site). I would not recommend the campgrounds on the west side Apgar, Sprague Creek, Avalanche, etc... since they felt more crowded and the crowds were largely boaters/RVers (not that there's anything wrong with that). Depending on your time and what you like to do, I would recommend Many Glacier and 2 Medicine. Rising Sun was nice due to its location. St. Mary had good location, but the sites/scenery wasn't the best. Bowman Lake and Cutbank were both secluded, but limited in amenities and out-of-the-way from most of the main hub of the park.

6. Re: Camping at Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park