We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank for Canadian Currency

Black Hawk, CO...
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bank for Canadian Currency

Planning to visit Glacier NP in September. Want to do day trip or camp across the border. Any convenient bank or ATM to get Canadian currency?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

ATMs are everywhere where tourists are. Also Canandians accept US dollars (not coins) in most shops and restaurants near the borders.

Be sure to bring passports. You need them now for Canadian crossings.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

You could get it before you leave home. Our bank doesn't keep it on hand, forget how long it takes. Or you can just use American, but usually you'll lose a little on the exchange rate.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

There are a couple of ATMs inside Waterton NP. You can also use American money. Businesses will give you some allowance for the exchange difference, but it will be less than you could get at the bank.

As a rule of thumb, most Canadian businesses accept US coins at par (ie: no exchange is given on coins), although some vending machines won't work with American coins.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

Ahh...good to know about the coins, CG. I guess it's only here in the USA where you see "no Canadian coins accepted"... leave it to the Canadians to be a bit more broad minded!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

lol.... that "no Canadian coins" thing irks many Canadians to no end, Riverdays!

East side of...
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

Living 5 miles from the Canadian Border (Carway) I go into Canada often. I use my debit/cc at the ATM's for Canadian Cash (My "walking around" money) or to pay directly for goods, gas, etc. The exchange rate is handled through the transaction. Some banks will charge a small "transaction fee" if you use your debit card. It is sooo much easier than trying to find a bank to exchange currency, and you get the current exchange rate.

7. Re: Bank for Canadian Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 06:17