We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature in Glacier right nwo

Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Temperature in Glacier right nwo

We are heading towards glacier national park on satuday, the weather.com says its 55 high and 25 low in the park. My questions is, is it really that bad? ie that cold? We are staying Apgar motel, so was wondering hows the temperature going to be in the hotel and how will it be if we hike say grinnell glacier and iceberg trail?

Depending on that i will have to pack my clothes.. please respond soon .. :)

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature in Glacier right nwo

Pack layers!

Yes, if you are at the top of Logan Pass and the wind is whipping it could get that cold. Apgar is down low, so you won't have lows in the 20's unless there is some freak weather event.

The weather reports get it right about 50% of the time. The micro-climates throughout the Flathead Valley make for very diverse and fast changing conditions, impossible to predict with real accuracy.

One hint for staying warm is to bring a hat and some lightweight gloves....you know this since you are coming from Ohio.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature in Glacier right nwo

It may be 55 today but the ten day forecast calls for it to warm back up to 70's-80's. You still need to bring a fleece jacket or wind breaker as it can cool off anytime. We have had a day of snow in August. The good thing is this time of year the cool spell usually lasts just a day or two. Also bring raingear of some sort, even if it is just a cheap poncho in case it starts to rain while on the trail. If you are hiking to higher elevations such as Grinnell the weather is cooler and sometimes wind can be a problem, so carry your jacket in your pack.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature in Glacier right nwo

When you're vacationing in the Rockies, you need to ensure you pack clothing for the sort of cold temperatures you have mentioned as well as the warmer 80 - 90 summer temperatures.

Temperatures at higher elevations rarely get high enough to be comfortable in shorts for any length of time, but at lower elevations, such as where most of the hotels are located, it can warm up that much. Temperatures can change from minute to minute, and it's not unusual to even see a little snow occasionally in the summer at higher elevations. Pack clothing so that you can layer - t-shirts, fleece jacket and outer waterproof wind breaker - this will enable you to strip off or add on layers as the weather dictates. A toque and gloves are also essential for hiking, as is a backpack to carry all of the "stuff" you're not using.

Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature in Glacier right nwo

Thanks a lot for all the info, I have packed some layers ie thermals and a zip on jacket with a hood.. i think the biggest thing i m missing is a raincoat which i dont have.. i should be able to get a decent one once i get to apgar isnt it?

5. Re: Temperature in Glacier right nwo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2010, 06:17