We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

We have the following recommendations for restaraunts..

Bigfork...Brookies Cookies Breakfast, Mountain Lake Lodge, Laughing Horse Lodge

Any others in Bigfork? Should we do Sunday brunch or regular dinner at Laughing Horse?

Whitefish..Pollo Grill..Buffalo Cafe Breakfast.

One evening in Missoula before we catch a plane the next afternoon...must sees? Dinner?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

What? No Echo Lake Cafe for breakfast or lunch while in Bigfork???? Big mistake! Go there. Open 7 days a week, 6:30 am until 2:30 p.m. Could be a wait during the weekends, but still well worth it. It's off the beaten track...ask anyone local...it's easy to find and proof that a restaurant can be highly successful "out in the middle of nowhere" when they get everything else right.

Brookies Cookies has sweets...wonderful ones...but not my idea of breakfast. I guess they may have a breakfast burrito, had one there last year but it was simply not good. Too much processed cheese and canned food. Brookies is a must-do for a relaxing time on their deck overlooking the rushing Swan River, enjoying a latte and a cookie.

Laughing Horse Lodge is great for dinners, Wed-Sun, (resv reqd) and only serves breakfast Sat and Sun. We were there today and had yummy huckleberry pancakes, a french omlette, bacon out of this world.....Yum! Sometimes service there is slow, due to the fact that she gets packed at times, and the kitchen can only put out so much food at once. If that happens, wander the back gardens and do try to slow down and enjoy the quiet moments....it sure beats getting annoyed. Kathleen also rents kayaks, and Swan Lake is gorgeous for kayaking.

The two most renowed Bigfork restaurants, for dinner, are Showthyme and La Provence. Both fine dining, both excellent.

As for Missoula, we enjoy Scotty's Table or the Red Bird, both downtown, fine dining establishments. There's plenty of good places to eat in Missoula, but we enjoy the ambience of downtown for strolling the streets and riverfront.

And what the heck...you might as well go on the Missoula Carousel and be like a kid again. Not likely you'll see anyone you know as you indulge your secret childlike heart on a romantic carousel ride by the river. On last thrill to top off your Montana adventure.

Bon apetite!

michigan
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

I will heed your advice River...Echo Lake will be added in place of Brookies. I think you mentioned that before, but I missed it. Laughing Horse will a destination for dinner. Anywhere else in Bigfork?

I planning on stopping in Garnet..then Fort Missoula and the Carousel in Missoula.

What about West Glacier/Apgar.

Thanks for the advise about the spa too!!!

Less than 5 weeks!!!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

Echo Lake Cafe is to die for! As a matter of fact, I'm working my schedule around breakfast there this August! We also liked Showtyme for dinner, and I agree about the Carousel for Missoula. Really cool.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

In West Glacier, it's the Belton Chalet. Located in one of the old historic hotels, refurbished beautifully (privately held), and really good food. Fine dining in a rustic atmosphere. We drive out there from Bigfork just to have dinner and later head to Lake McDonald for the sunset. Sit on the deck (overlooking both the highway and the railroad) or enjoy indoors seating. We've always been pleased with their food and service. Lovely gift shop inside as well...look for a local ceramic artist's colorful dishes called "WalkerWare", really fun stuff if you like that style.

On that same note of MT gift shopping, THE best giftshop in the Valley for Montana-made artistry, IMHO, is located in the Glacier Park International Airport (FCA). It's called "Kindred Spirits" and she has an outstanding collection of locally-made items. Parking is plentiful and cheap at FCA, plus Kindred Spirits will reimburse you for parking fees if you ask.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

Lol... I was going to recommend the Echo Lake Cafe as well!

The one restaurant I really enjoy at GNP is Serrano's, but it is in East Glacier, not West Glacier. Note also that they don't open until 5:00 pm. Also like Two Sister's in St Mary.

6. Re: eating...BIgfork...West Glacier...Missoula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 05:18