We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinerary

austin TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 day itinerary

Hi All,

I would really appreciate it if you could review the following itinerary I have chalked out for our (= my husband + me) labor day trip to GNP.

Both of us have average fitness and we intend to do easy and medium difficulty day hikes.

We have booked accommodation in the Swiftcurrent motor inn for the entire stay.

We are not particular about seeing wildlife.

Sep 4 - Arrive in Great Falls by 1 pm. (This was the cheapest nearby airport I could find) and drive to East Glacier. Explore the Many glacier area if we have time.

Sep 5 - Drive down Going to the sun road, stopping at various points. Do EITHER Hidden Lake hike or Avalanche hike (Which one is better in terms of views?) and drive up till Lake Mc Donald and come back.

Sep 6 - Do the Iceberg lake hike

Sep 7 - Grinnell Glacier hike if we are in good shape after the Iceberg lake hike the previous day; else just the Grinnell lake hike and explore the surrounding areas.

Sep 8 - Drive back to Great Falls and head back.

We chose to skip the 2 medicine region as we thought it would be too cluttered to fit it in our short trip.

How does this sound?

Should we watch out for snow?

Will there be enough people on the trails?

Is the trip to cluttered?

Thanks for your advice,

Regards

Aparna

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day itinerary

Hi All,

Sep 5 - Drive down Going to the sun road, stopping at various points. Do EITHER Hidden Lake hike or Avalanche hike (Which one is better in terms of views?) and drive up till Lake Mc Donald and come back.

Sep 6 - Do the Iceberg lake hike

Sep 7 - Grinnell Glacier hike if we are in good shape after the Iceberg lake hike the previous day; else just the Grinnell lake hike and explore the surrounding areas.

Sep 8 - Drive back to Great Falls and head back.

We chose to skip the 2 medicine region as we thought it would be too cluttered to fit it in our short trip.

How does this sound?

Should we watch out for snow?

Will there be enough people on the trails?

Is the trip to cluttered?

Thanks for your advice,

I would definitely choose Hidden Lake and if you have any energy left, do a few miles of Highline (both trailheads are at Logan Pass)......

In your brief time frame I think that this is a good schedule. I really think that Logan Pass and Many Glacier trailheads have the best hiking trails....

It certainly might snow. We got about four inches overnight when I was camping there last year on September 10th, but most days the temps should be highs between 55 and 70 and lows in the 30's.

The trails will still be crowded as this is Labor Day week-end. Start early if you want to see fewer people on the trails.....

NJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day itinerary

your plan seems reasonable every time i've been at glacier, the hidden lake trail has been closed due to grizzly activity. one time the ranger had to do some very long distance shooting (NOT REAK BULLETS) to scare the bear off it wasn't very close to the trail but they wanted it even further away...the rangers take bear safety very seriously. so i end up doing more and more of highline so doing hidden lake and some of high line is a good division of time.

iceberg lake will be about a 4 hour hike and there will be no icebergs but it is still a fine hike.

grinnell will take longer and it's a great hike, a little more difficult, but great for the day, either day you can do the lower flat trails at the end of the valley past the campground area...

it could snow but it shouldn't be such a storm that it would stop your plans... glacier is great. enjoy

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day itinerary

I agree...I think you have a very good itinerary established for you trip. I also agree to do Hidden Lake Overlook rather than Avalanche Lake & to add in a couple miles of the Highline Trail if you think you have enough time. If at all possible, try to hike all the way to Grinnell Glacier. At least start the Grinnell Glacier Trail & if it becomes too big of a hike, then turn around. Even if you just go a couple miles up the trail, the views are fantastic! In case one of those trails is closed, I would highly recommend doing Bullhead Lake as an alternative.

austin TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day itinerary

Thanks all for your opinions.

So I will go for the Hidden lake trail. I did read up a bit on the internet about the Avalanche lake hike and a couple of people had written that it is a bit overrated.

A bit of a concern for me right now are the bears.

I heard that the Iceberg lake hike passes through A+ grizzly territory and I have also heard that it is safest to hike in a group of minimum 3. We will be just the 2 of us (in our late 20's) so it would be great if there are enough people in the trails with whom we can team up or something.

Since it's going to be labor day weekend, can we expect to have enough people on the trails or is my concern a real concern at all?

As pal0242 said, the rangers take bear safety very seriously but is there something we need to do besides the obvious?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day itinerary

It is true that you are very safe hiking in a group of 3 or more. However, I think hiking in a group of 2 on the Iceberg Lake Trail Labor Day weekend will not pose a serious problem. There would be plenty of people you could team up with to hike together if you want. However, there will also simply be abundant hikers along the trail. It will likely be as though you are hiking in a group anyway. If bears are posing a threat along the trail, the NPS will have the trail closed anyway. All you should really worry about is paying attention to your surroundings and making noise as you hike. You can do this simply by carrying on a conversation while you hike. If you come to areas where brush is thicker or where you are near a stream, a few loud claps, whistles, or shouts is a good idea. If you really want to feel secure, you could always purchase a can of bear spray. It is unlikely you would have to use it, but for many people it is a mental safeguard. Really, more than anything you should just try to pay attention to your surroundings and make noise while hiking. I wouldn't sweat it. Hopefully the trail will be open for you to enjoy!

6. Re: 5 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park