We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grinnel Boat and Hike

Yorktown Heights, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Grinnel Boat and Hike

I am getting overwhelmed planning my days to visit in early September but want to definitely hike Grinnel. How does the boat ride first work? Do I need to book that now? How far is the hike using the boat? Thanks.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

You may use the Many Glacier boat shuttle in many ways. You may take it both to begin and to finish your hike to Grinnell Glacier, as a one-way shuttle either to begin or to end your hike, or as part of a ranger-led hike. It costs $22 for adults and $11 for children (4 to 12 years old) for the roundtrip shuttle. If you only want to use it one way, the cost is half the roundtrip cost. Departure times from Many Glacier Hotel are 8:30, 9:00, 11:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:30 so you have plenty of times to choose from. Departure times from the Grinnell Glacier Trail are posted at the upper boat dock on Lake Josephine. If you want to make reservations (which many people suggest), you may email your request to info@glacierparkboats.com.

All the information you would want about the boats can be found on the following page: http://glacierparkboats.com/reserve.htm

Using the boat, the roundtrip distance is about 7 miles. Without the boat it is about 11 miles. If you only use it one-way, it is about 9 miles.

Yorktown Heights, NY
Level Contributor
30 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

Thanks so much, you couldn't have been more helpful.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

To be a little more precise, I think it is 7.6 miles roundtrip using the boat both ways, 11 miles roundtrip without taking the boat, and 9.3 miles roundtrip taking the boat one way. But who's counting?!?! : )

I'm glad you found the information helpful. That site should be able to answer anything you need to know about the Glacier Park Boat Company and their services. I've heard that all of the shuttles are very nice but that Lake McDonald is not quite up-to-par with the others. This is reflected in what Lorenky mentioned in her trip report.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
56 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

We just came back from hiking the Grinnel Glacier trail. We did NOT take the boat ride ($22 roadtrip). By hiking the trail (used the swiftcurrent trailhead, then connecting to grinnel glacier), we actually BEAT the boat! It saves you 3.4miles (total), but the trail was all flat (actually hike 1/2 across lake & through wild flower field). The steepness does not start until AFTER the boat drops you off on the trail. Of note, where the boat drops you off, we actually need to hike UP (a little) to catch the grinnel glacier trailhead. my advice...save your $.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

When I hiked Grinnell Glacier last summer, I did not use the boat shuttle either. I used the shuttle in 2006 and enjoyed it, but now I do know that i can hike it just as fast and save money. However, for most people, I think the boat shuttle is worthwhile. It gives some good, interesting information, allows for some relax time without the worry of encountering bears on the trail, and shaves off about 3 1/2 miles off the roundtrip distance. Although 3 1/2 miles might not be much, 7.5 miles may be much more doable than 11 miles. I think the boat is a great option for some people while just hiking is a great option for others. I prefer just hiking, but I can definitely understand why the boat shuttle is so popular--it is a great option!

tran234: Thank you so much for your input!!! It is a view that most people don't have simply because a vast majority just take the shuttle. The trail along Swiftcurrent and Josephine is very scenic, isn't it? Good to see you here on TA! I am certain your advice will prove very helpful now and in the future. WELCOME!!!

Sean

6. Re: Grinnel Boat and Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 05:18